J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

17 horse mtd riding mower/shuts off when pto is engaged/tried

17 horse mtd riding mower/shuts off when pto is engaged/tried bypassing safety switch but it still shuts off.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Which switch did you try to bypass?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the one under the seat
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Ok,

If you have bypassed the seat switch and it is still acting up. It may be the deck switch. Provide the model numbers off of the unit. They will be located under the seat.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it will take me about 15 minutes to get model number
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i,m back/model# XXXXX# XXXXX
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Do you flip a switch or move a lever to engage the deck?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
move a lever
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Ok. The problem may be a bad deck switch. If you follow that rod to where it moves you should find a switch that is on the frame of the tractor. That switch may be bad.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can i get back to you later this afternoon,it,s my neighbors mower and he is at work and won,t be home until 4.00.i don,t have a key to the mower.
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
That will be fine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i checked for another sensor at the bottom of the lever,there was none.i traced the wires from under the seat and found a sensor on the rear end housing so i don,t feel i owe anything for your info.thank you.
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
What sensor did you find on the rearend and did it fix the problem?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it was a sensor on the rear end ,all i did was unhook the wire and hook it back up and it works.i am asuming that it was a backup sensor.this is an mtd yard machine however the model # XXXXX have told you that.
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
The reverse sensor. That should only cause it to shut off when you put it in reverse unless the switch or contact was bent and it was making contact all of the time. Glad you got it fixed.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.