J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

My cub cadet RZT 50 with the 22 hp kawasaki engine blows the

My cub cadet RZT 50 with the 22 hp kawasaki engine blows the fuse when engaging the key switch. It will crank if i jump the solinoid but no spark. The first problem was the carb. solinoid. At that time it would run if I sprayed fuel in the carb but would stop as soon as fuel I added was gone. It has sure got me stumped.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Does the fuse blow as soon as you turn it to the On position, or when you go to the start position?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I go to the start position.
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 5 years ago.
Hi rickpierce2;
Check the wireing at the carb solinoid. If there are two wires switch them. You may have accidentally installed them backwards. (been there done that on diffrent model).
You may also have a defective solinoid too. Unplug it completly and see if you still blow the fuse.
Best, THS
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
<p>Hello rickpierce2,</p><p> </p><p>                            Sorry for the other expert getting involed he was trying to help while I was gone. If you have a voltmeter you can check to see if the key switch is shorting out. You may have a bad starter solenoid or starter. Let me know when you are ready to proceed and what you find.</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Seems as far as the fuse problem goes must have been a short in the holder. I replaced it and fuse seems to hold up fine. (This really doesn’t jive does it?)

Here’s what still going on:

· No fire to starter when key turned to start position.

· With key in on position and I jump the solenoid engine turns over fine but no spark.

· I have tried carb. Solenoid both ways.

· I have made sure steer arm buttons are closed, parking brake on, seat down which should not matter. One thing on the seat I see a spot for two wires to safety terminal but only one wire hooked up. Cannot find loose wire anywhere and believe it only ever had one? PTO button pushed all the way in.

· Not sure about solenoid. Either it is bad or problem from key switch.

What I need is wiring diagram. Owner’s manual very basic. Cub cadet web site has manuals available except for some reason not at this time.

I still would really appreciate any help you could provide and just so you know at this time I am checking what is and what is not getting power and will report back.

Things I’m not sure about would be voltage regulator; would both coils go out at same time? Or am I off base with this whole thing.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR WORKING WITH ME.

Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Pull the top cover off of the engine to expose the flywheel and the ignition module. There will be a small wire that pulgs into it. Unplug the small wire and then crank it over and check for spark. Let me knoe if you have spark with the small wire unplugged.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have no spark, fuse is blowing again, and no place to get manuals. I'm about ready to junk it.
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
The problem is likely a bad ignition switch or solenoid. I would replace the solenoid first.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.