RUSS
RUSS, SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  28 YEAR SERVICE TECHNICIAN
19031375

I checked my oil today and it looks milky gray. The engine

I checked my oil today and it looks milky gray. The engine ran ok for some time on the lake, before I checked it. Is this serious? I have never seen oil looking like this.
Milky gray is an indication of water in the oil. First change the oil and filter. Check you fuel supply and make sure no water is in there. Use some "dry gas" in the tank too. Then after that try to run it again and see if you still get milky oil again. If you do, there may be some internal problem that a tear down will be needed for. It could be a simple as a head or intake gasket or some other much worse problem like a crack in the block. ONLY a tear down will tell. GOOD LUCK AND HOPE FOR THE FUEL PROBLEM.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I should have mentioned that his is a mercruiser four cylinder inboard-out board engine. Does that make a difference, since it is not a 2-cycle engine?

NO! The reason I mentioined the fuel is that the water will seperate form the gas after the intake manifold. This is very seldom though. I am afraid that this is not the case here.