TaxTom, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Operated Lawn Mower business for 20 years. Can find manuals and parts for many brands.

I have an early 80s John deere model 111 lawn tractor. how

I have an early 80's John deere model 111 lawn tractor. how is the coil wired to the points?
A Early 80's Deere 111 with a Briggs engine should be solid state ignition with a coil only and no points. Lets assume you have the last of the point ignition engines, there is a thin wire that runs from the coil under the flywheel to the points and condenser. Thanks Tom
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks Tom

The coil has two wires. One insulated, one bare. Are both wires connected to the points?

The bare wire is the ground wire that go's thru the monting bolt for the coil. The insulated wire goes under the flywheel for the points. Just an aside if you replacing the coil you can put a solid state coil in its place and just cut the wire to pints and not have to pull the flywheel. Thanks Tom