Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.

I have a john deere lx279 with a 17 hp kaw engine i have put

I have a john deere lx279 with a 17 hp kaw engine i have put new fuel pump, new carb, new fuel filter, new plugs,new gas lines,and it started out running a little while 30 minutes or so after new pump and carb. then it just quit. I could hold choke allway on it would crank and run with me pushing choke up and down.Now it wont even crank ,I changed plugs still will not crank,it hit one or two times just a sec then will not start at all. I have already spent enough on parts to have bought a walmart mower! please help
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 7 years ago.

as much as it sounds like carburetor problems, I am going to try to send you in another direction.

Get a good spark tester and see what kind of spark you have. You actually could have a bad electronic ignition causing this proble.

You also may need to check the valve settings. The valves should be reset about every 100 hrs of use. The clearance should be .004" between the pushrods and the rocker arms. when the valves are completely closed.

Also you should take a look at your gasoline. If you didn't clean the gas tank and replace the fuel lines when you pu on the new carburetor, you could have the same problem because of old or bad gas...water in the gas, or more. If this is the case you will hae to clean the tankd, and clean the carb again.

I hope this gives you something else to try.

Good luck.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a "bonus" if I have been helpful,Please leave positive feedback this is how I'm rated. Thanks