The Home Smithy, Small Engine Tech
Experience:  Small engine tech

How do you replace the battery in a Yamaha Golf Cart (gas)

How do you replace the battery in a Yamaha Golf Cart (gas) I am unable to figure it out.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer If you can see the battery you can remove it. Just need to know where the mounting hardware is located.

On most all newer vehicles made they are useing a bottom clamp to secure the batteries to the vehicles chassis. Yours is not any diffrent just because its a golf cart.

You should first disconnect the leads. Start with the positive side first. Then remove the negative lead. They should be color coded red -positive and black- negative. If there both black look for the + and - markings on the battery itself. If they aren't visable then the smallest diameter wire or the side that has only a single wire going to it is the negative.

Once the wires are removes move them out of the way so that the battery can be lifted streight up from its perch.

Now use a flash light if you need to and look at the bottom sides of the battery. One side will have a bolt right next to the battery that holds a wedgeing block against the battery. This pushes the bottom of the batteryagainst and under a metal retaining device on the opposite side. Remove the bolt and the block. wiggle the battery away from the retainer and lift it streight up and out.

Please post any other concerns here.

Best, THS

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
II can't find the battery!!! It is a 1985 Yamaha Golf cart, can you just tell me how to find it so that I can replace it.

In that case grab ahold of the roof a little more to the rear on one side of the cart. Have someone else grab the other, and lift it up and back. This will reveal the engine compartment. The battery is in there on the drivers side I think. Its been a while since I worked at Horse Thief CC fixing their carts.

I dont recall if there is a latch on this model or not but if there is it is right there in front if the seats in plain site.

If this stil doesnt get the job done I can call Doug at the CC, and have him take a look for you.

Im pretty certain that they didnt change that body style till 86

Let me know how it goes ok.

Best, Smitty