Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

john deere tractor hydro 175 engine misses when hot. carburetor

Customer Question

john deere tractor hydro 175 engine misses when hot. carburetor is not the problem.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 5 years ago.

I'm not sure why you say the carburetor is not the problem, but if it's not, then you have a few other possibilities.

First it culd be a problem with the ignition system. When they get hot, they sometimes start to break down. Usually the either start to miss a little , but then they usually stop altogether. You may have one cylinder that is working ok but the other one may not be running correctly or a t all.

Next it could be a problem with the gas cap. If the vent in the cap is not venting, then this could be a cause of the engine trouble. Loosen or remove the fuel cap and see if it clears up.

Next you vould be the victim of "Vapor Lock" This happens especially in hot or humid weather.

You have several possibilities.

Just read all of my answer before you act.

1. Todays gasoline is not the same as it was just a few years ago. There have boon changes in gas formulas. DO NOT USE REGULAR 87 OCTANE GAS! Use a good quality, good brand 89 octane fuel. DO NOT USE CHEAP GAS.

2. One of the problems you seem to have is a phonomenon called "VAPOR Lock".

This is caused when fuel vaporizes in the fuel line and doesn't allow the proper amount of gas to get to the carburetor. This is usually caused bu the fuel ine getting too close to a heat source such as the muffler of the cylinder head or even sometimes the engine block. Also cheap fule of 87 octane fuels will cause this to happen more often. Check all the fuel lines and make sure that they are away from heat.

As mowers are operated, they tend to accumulate grass under the engine shoud. We call this a "Birds nest or mouse nest." These nests will keep the engine from cooling as they block the flow of air to the head and cylinder. Clean this grass out several times a year.

3. Another issue can be a fuel issue in the carburetor.

As engines sit or get older, fuel that is left in the carburetor can turn to gum and varnish and cause this and other problems.

Also, any gasoline that was left in a gas can for a period of more than 30 days must be discarded because it also has begun to turn to varnish.

More than 70% of all of our repairs in our lawn mower business are due to this same issue. You most likely have dirt, gum, varnish...etc in your carburetor plugging up the small passageways and jets in the carb. It Must be removed from the engine, cleaned very well, blown out with compressed air and reassembled using a NEW carburetor rebuild kit. ALWAYS clean the fuel tank and replace the fuel line when doing this repair or you may have to do it all over again. The inside of the fuel line disintegrates over time and these small pieces of rubber will plug up the carb too. Dirt and water from a dirty fuel tank will also plug up the carb. Find the Model, type and serial or code numbers off of the engine and take them to your local dealer to get the carb kit.

4. Make sure that you install a new Air Filter. DO NOT CLEAN AIR FILTERS always REPLACE. Replace air filters no less often than every 20 hrs of use. Plugged air filters will cause many problems.

There may be other things, but this should be enough for now.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

At first it starts to miss then it will stop altogether. If its the ignition system what should I replace? I only have one cylinder, not two.
I will try losening the gas cap and see if this works. I do recall the vent line coming off, but the vent is stil there, just not the tube, so maybe you are on to something.
1. I use 93 octane gas - that is not the issue.
2. vapor lock may be a problem, but I doubt it.
I do not have a birds nest.
3. It's not the carb, my brother in-law is a mechanic and took it off and cleaned it. He said it was spot less.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 5 years ago.

First things first. If your brother in law did not use a conplete carburetor repair kit, there is still a good possibility that the carb could be part of the proble. Too many people take the carbs apart and clean them without replacing any of the parts. These parts are usually one of the biggest causes that the carb doesn't work properly.

Ok Now that that is out of the way.

Since you have only one cylinder, it is very easy to find the part that you might need to replace.

The electronic ignition is the part that produces the spark and is connected to the spark plug wire. It is located under the engine cover. This is the most likey cause of the problems you are having.

LEt me know if this works. We can talk even after you click Accept. Just come back to this post and type in your additional response and I will be happy to give some more help.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will accept after I try your ideas and it works.

I will try the gas cap loosening idea.

Next, I will try replacing the electronic ignition.

Although I will not accept yet, if your ideas work I will double my initial fee.

I'm a fair and reasonable person.

If in the end none of your ideas work, yet you gave good advice, I'll still pay. But only after we have investigated all the reasonable potential root causes.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 5 years ago.

I have no problem with that. My main goal is to help. It can be very frustrating to have these kind of probelms and not know where to turn. I am not really in it only for the money, although it really helps in these bad economic times.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I will be happy to help all I can.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not had a chance to try your ideas yet. The problem is that I have to run the mower for 30-40 minutes (under load), to get the symptoms to repeat. The advice given thus far seems reasonable. I will try the ideas this weekend.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 5 years ago.
No problem..Just hope everythign works out for you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried the loosening the gas cap. Still started to sputter after 40 mins of lawn cutting. Do you think if it was the carb that it would run for 40 mins?
I think my next step is the ignition system what do you think? Maybe I should rebuild the carb?

Regardless, you've given good advice. You've earned the money.

I may just take back to the Weingartz dealer (pretty good guys), its just it's 200 bucks and the tracker is only worth 500.

Thanks,

Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 5 years ago.
First things first. If your brother in law did not use a conplete carburetor repair kit, there is still a good possibility that the carb could be part of the problem. Too many people take the carbs apart and clean them without replacing any of the parts. These parts are usually one of the biggest causes that the carb doesn't work properly. <br /><br /><br /><br />Ok Now that that is out of the way. <br /><br /><br /><br />Since you have only one cylinder, it is very easy to find the part that you might need to replace. <br /><br /><br /><br />The electronic ignition is the part that produces the spark and is connected to the spark plug wire. It is located under the engine cover. This is the most likey cause of the problems you are having. <br /><br />Yes I would probably replace the ignition. and rebuild the carb. <br /><br />I might try the ignition first, though. <br /><br /><br /><br />Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid. <br /><br />You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful,Please leave positive feedback this is how I'm rated. Thanks <br />

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful,Please leave positive feedback this is how I'm rated. Thanks

Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience: I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried loosening the gas cap, no go. Do you think the engine would run strong for 40 mins if it was the carb? It's either rebuild the carb or go after the ignition system.

Regardless, you've given good advice.

Thanks,

Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 5 years ago.
First things first. If your brother in law did not use a complete carburetor repair kit, there is still a good possibility that the carb could be part of the problem. Too many people take the carbs apart and clean them without replacing any of the parts. These parts are usually one of the biggest causes that the carb doesn't work properly.

Ok Now that that is out of the way. Since you have only one cylinder, it is very easy to find the part that you might need to replace. The electronic ignition is the part that produces the spark and is connected to the spark plug wire. It is located under the engine cover.

This is the most likely cause of the problems you are having. Yes I would probably replace the ignition. and rebuild the carb. I might try the ignition first, though.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid. You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful, Please leave positive feedback this is how I'm rated. Thanks