Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

I have a 2006 Cub Cadet RZT 50 zero turn mower with a Kawasaki

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Cub Cadet RZT 50" zero turn mower with a Kawasaki motor. Here is my problem: The bolt which holds the electric clutch and pully for the deck operation has broken and left a portion of the bolt still up in the crankshaft. I estimate that about 2" of the bolt remains in the crankshaft. How can this bolt be removed? Many thanks for a quick reply! ----Justa
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 5 years ago.

This is not as difficult as you may think. AT least we hope not.

The first thing is that you have to remove the electric clutch.

In many cases the clutch will just pull off.

In other cases you will have to use a puller.

Once you get the clutch off, usually you can just reach up and screw the bolt out with your fingers. If it is broken of inside the crankshaft far enough that you cannot reach it with your fingers, you may be able to take a screwdriver and reach up into the crankshaft and jope that there is a little sonething that the screwdriver can catch on to try to turn it out.

Fo not, then you will have to drill a hole (Smaller then the diameter of the bolt) and use an easy-out to remove the bolt.

If that doesn't work, then you will have to derill the bolt out and rethread the crank.

IF it gets that far, I would suggest that you have a mechanic remove it for you. In fact, I might suggest you do that in the firts place so you don't risk damaging something. It should only cost abotu $20- $30 to have it removed.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a "bonus" if I have been helpful,Please leave positive feedback this is how I'm rated. Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Once a bolt is broken in half, there is no way that a screwdriver will catch on to something that will allow you to remove the remaining bolt. That is a stupid idea! I have already poked around with everything that I can think of and nothing works. The bolt is broken in such a way that the break is at an angle and not a flat surface, therefore I can't drill a hole for the screw extractor to be used. As for trying to drill the bolt out that will not work either because the drill will skid to one side and mess things up so bad that the crankshaft could not be rethreaded. Your ideas will not work for me. Sorry that I bothered you!!!!