J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

I have to replace the flexible drive shaft on a troybuilt tb415cs

Customer Question

I have to replace the flexible drive shaft on a troybuilt tb415cs gas trimmer. Can you give me some clue as how to do this. I have the trimmer apart at the engine end and see the unbroken part of the shaft coupled into the engine at the location of the starter pulley. I have removed the cutting head and see a shaft about 3/8" dia and a hex nut. Where do I go from there? I can get a replacement shaft for about $40.

I broke the shaft cutting bamboo (shoots up to 3/8" dia) with a cutting blade. Could straight shaft trimmers be more rebust?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.

See attached link. The $40.00 shaft is the entire item. It will be a new housing with the shaft in it. The shaft alone is not serviceable.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=troy_bilt&mn=TB415CS+SUPER+BRONCO+41ADT41C966&dn=769027740002

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'll order the assembly as you suggest. When I get it, I may come back to you if it is not obvious on how to install the asembly
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
Thank you.