Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

i have a powertek lt 6500 cl gen run great makes no power

Customer Question

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 7 years ago.

Somewhere on your genset will be a data plate. What is the model number of this set?

Who is the manufacturer?

Is this set gas or diesel?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i have checked the fuses both

the gen worked one day and not the next its basicly brand new

i don't see any broken wires or any thing

was wondering if they use a exciter wire for genorating or not or if there is any common problems with these

Expert:  Hank F. replied 7 years ago.

Yes, there should be an exciter wire, but it usually doesn't activate until the set starts prodcuing voltage. The problem is getting the intial excitement. It is usually done by the residual magnetism left in the rotor. It is very common for them to lose the residual magnetism, but usually only after sitting a long time.

That is why I need the model number, to see if I can find a schematic to know which wire is the exciter.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the model number is XXXXX 6500 it says on the plate

Expert:  Hank F. replied 7 years ago.
I can find no reference to that genset. Do you happen to have an owners manual or anything that might say who actually built it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i don't have manual boutgh in from a guy who used once said he didn't need it any more and i used it once and not the next did not work

name plate say powertek lt6500CL

plate gen say model BT 6500

other than that compare to a honda the are exactly the same except the name

and it is a 13 hp

Expert:  Hank F. replied 7 years ago.

The only thing I can offer at this point is one or two very generic ways to restore the magntetism, if you would like. Neither one is difficult. But to know if you will be able to do the best way, I need you to remove the cover from the end of the genset, opposite the engine. It will be the very end cover, with the ventilation slots in it.

When you get it off, look for a small black square, about 1 1/2" across, wth 4 wires attached to it, one in each corner. Does your set have this piece? If it does, leave the cover off for now.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

no it does not

it has black quarter moon piece

a 4 post kinda like a cermaic block

and the little deal with the brushs

Expert:  Hank F. replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

I am going to tell you how to flash the field. The worst that can happen is this is not the problem.

Hello again.

There are 3 ways to restore the magnetism that I know of.

1. (This is the best option) Jumper 12V from a 12V battery, positive to + brush and negative to the - brush. Hold it for about 10 seconds. Start the genset and see if it is putting out. If not, jumper the 12V again with the engine running. This time only hold it for about 5 seconds.

2. I have only read about this one - I have never tried it, but it is the recommendation from Briggs and Stratton. Plug a reversible drill into the outlet, start the genset, put the drill in reverse, squeeze the trigger, but manually spin the drill forward several times by hand. The theory is that spinning the drill the opposite direction of the switch creates a small magnetic charge in the motor that is sent to the windings of the generator, creating the magnetic field.

3. This one was given to me by an old-timer at Kohler generators, but you msut be extremely careful. (This is actually the one I use) Get an old power cord or extension cord (with the female end removed) about 4 feet long. Cut the cord about one foot from the plug and install an in line fuse holder in both the hot and neutral wires. Put a 10A fuse into both holders. Plug the cord into the outlet. Hook up the positive wire to a 12V battery. Start the genset, and touch the negative lead to the negative post on the battery. Pull it back off in 3 seconds (count one thousand one). If the genset has taken a charge, one or both fuses will have blown. The theory here is also that you are inducing a magnetic field into the windings.

If these do not work, there are other problems with the genset.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

that didn't work but it sure made smoke

Expert:  Hank F. replied 7 years ago.

Exactly what part of the test made the smoke?

It should not have made any smoke unless there was a dead short somewhere in the system.

Where do the wires from the brushes go to?

The half moon piece with the 4 wires, is there any kind of marking in it?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no it is just black
Expert:  Hank F. replied 7 years ago.

Can you look behind the panel and tell me about all the wires going from the panel down into the genset? Please be very specific.

How many wires?

What size?

Where do they go to on the panel?

What color? Are they numbered? What numbers?

Please be very specific.