PK.
PK., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Retired Owner of a full service shop and national parts sales website.
12056261

How to replace a Oil Level Switch on a Honda GX160 5.5 HP Engine

Customer Question

How to replace a Oil Level Switch on a Honda GX160 5.5 HP Engine ?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.
Are you wanting to replace the oil level sensor in the side of the block? What's the complete model number from the id plate? Thanks, PK.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

PK,

The numbers on the ID plate are: HX2X GC02-3444661 The Engine family is SHN1630161RA. I cannot get a spark when I turn the flywheel. I replaced the ignition coil, spark plug, change the oil and by passed the on / off siwtch and still no spark. My thinking is it has to be the oil level sensor. I have no idea how to get to it. Also need information on where I can purcahse a oil level sensor online. Is their anyway to bypass the oil level sensor ?

Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.

Are you turning the flywheel by hand or with the starter?

You can check the switch by checking for continuity between the yellow and green leads. If the oil level is good and the switch is working, there should be infinite resistance. Replacement involves engine disassembly. The output side of the crankcase has to come off. Unplugging should disable it. The switch is available from anybody who carries Honda engine parts.

I'd try a few other things first. For starters, disconnect the black wire from the switch and see if the plug will fire. Let me know what you get from that. Thanks, PK.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Pk,

I am turning the flwheel by hand, I have also tries attaching the handle with no success. I tested the yellow and green while and got resistance. I also tested the onn/off switch and black wire and also got resistance.

I also disconnected the black wire from the switch and got no spark.

Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.

You can't turn the flywheel fast enough by hand to get a spark. The flywheel needs to turn at at least 300 rpm for ignition.

Do not hook up a continuity tester to the black wire. This can damage the coil.

If you unhook the yellow wire from the oil switch, this removes it from the system. The oil switch works as the on/off switch does, when activated it sends the coil to ground. So unplugging the yellow wire from the harness and the black wire from the switch should leave you with nothing to be bad except the coil and the black wire itself.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Pk,

Since I can't get to the oil level switch is it ok just to unplug the yellow wire from the on/off switch ?

The black wire runs from the coil ignition to the on/off switch. Does it matter if I disconnect the black wire from the on/off switch or the igition coil ?

Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.

You can disconnect the yellow wire without any problems.

The black wire I would first disconnect from the switch and check for fire. If none, then disconnect from the coil and check for fire. This wire sometimes grounds out when the insulation gets rubbed off and will keep the plug from firing. You can also unplug the black wire from the coil and then check the wire for continuity to ground.

If you have no fire with the black wire disconnected at the coil, then you may have a bad coil. Make sure the mounting surfaces are clean.

PK., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Retired Owner of a full service shop and national parts sales website.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Pk,

I put the pull handle back on the flywheel and disconnected the yellow wire from the black wire and the engine started after a couple of pulls. The engine stalled after I attached the yellow wire to the black wire. I guess the root cause is the oil level switch.

How difficult is it to install a oil level switch. I am guesing that I have to pull the fly wheel to get to the oil level switch ?

Thanks for the help.

Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.

You have to pull the engine in half to change it. You may be able to do it by just removing the back half of the engine, I haven't had to only change an oil sending unit on one of these before and it's been awhile since I've had to tear one down. I don't think the crankshaft is in the way, I believe you can work around it. If the crank is in the way, then the entire engine will need to come apart.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Pk,

Sounds way too involved for me to get into. The engine runs and I will make sure to check oil level on a regular basis.

Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.
Okay. Let me know if you run into any other trouble with it. Thanks, PK.