J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

Im having trouble with the charging system on a Cub Cadet

Customer Question

I'm having trouble with the charging system on a Cub Cadet model 2180. Some times it charges (15 v at the battery) and other times the volt meter jumps all over the place and the battery discharges. At present a check for voltage at the wire coming directly from the alternator registers nothing. An MTD manual I've been using to trouble shoot says to check the regulator or the stator but unfortunately it doesn't offer any instructions as to how to check them. Can you offer any suggestions? Cal
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
What make and model of engine is it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your reply...the engine is a Briggs & Stratton. The I.D. plate shows the following info.: Model: 350447; Type: 1111-E1: Code: 03110511. Cal
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
I need to know what color the wires and connector are coming from the alternator to the voltage regulator.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
J.R.: I'm sorry I've been so long in responding. I have several projects going, a 10 yr. old daughter who would live on the computer if allowed, & a wife who conducts a lot of home business through the computer- so I have to fight for my turn.
The wire coming from the alternator is red and the conector on the end is opaque(white). The male connector (regulator side) is red. The regulator itself has 2 yellow wires with yellow connectors in addition to the red wire coming in grom the alternator. I have a question reguardinlg the charging system. Does the alternator become energized through the ignition switch? In other words could a faulty ignition switch prevent the alternator from becoming energized to charge? Cal
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.

No,

The alternator creates its own power. It only has power coming out of it and not going into it. If you check for voltage at the 2 wires coming from under the flywheel (yellow) with the engine running at full speed and do not get a reading you either have a bad alternator or the magnets on the inside of the flywheel are bad.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Back again J.R.
With the engine running full throttle the voltage between the 2 yellow wires is a little over 26.0 volts. Measuring the voltage of the red wire coming out of the regulator(red voltmeter probe on the connector, black probe grounded to frame) I only get about 1.2 volts. Today I started the mower and the voltage at the battery was 13.2 V. As the mower continued to run the voltage began to bleed off. After a couple of minutes the voltage had dropped to 12.8 V. I'm beginning to suspect the regulator. If this is the case do you know where I can purchase one at a reasonable price?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
J.R.
Did you get my last response?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
J.R. I'm goinig to give it one more try. I keep getting an error message saying firefox has crashed. This is my first time at using Just Ask and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not. I believe I am down to diagnosing the probem as being the regulator but I'd like to know for sure before purchasing one and I'd like to pay you but at this time I'm not sure what is going on or if we are even connected.
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
I would replace the voltage regulator.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks J.R. - sorry for all the confusion.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks J.R. Sorry for the confusion. As I said, this is my first time at utilizing this service: I'm not even sure your payment went through but don't worry - I'll eventually figure things out. If you haven't received payment send me an E-mail where I can send a check or money order. Thanks again. Cal
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I was paid.