Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

hi trying to locate points location in 1993 onan bge emerald

hi trying to locate points location in 1993 onan bge emerald genset engine idles good try to excellerate will not make top rpm breaking up black smoke , can not get power to ac in rv rebuilt carb , new air filter, fuel filter, plugs, coil trace coil wires down from top of engine to???
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 7 years ago.

Hello, what is the full model number of your genset?

Depending on the model number, your set may not have points, but an electronic ignition system.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
hi thanks its a 4bgefa26101j looks like no points as far as i see theres a pts book that was in rv but just bge identification it idle good but bring rpms up and its breaks up black smoke stumbels back to idle then smoths out.seems like ignition did carb coil capacitor but the same condition cannot get up to rated speed any help would be greatly appreceated !
Expert:  Hank F. replied 7 years ago.

OK, first. your unit is a Spec. J. It does not have points, but an elctronic ignition system. If the engine is running, there is nothing wrong with it. It either works or it doesn't.

When you say you bring the RPM's up, are you doing it or is the genset doing it? This unit does not have variable speed. It runs at one speed (3600RPM) and stays there. It will fluctuate a little under heavy load, but not much. Do not try to make it run faster, as you can burn out some very expensive parts. What exactly did you do to the carb? Be very precise, because it sounds like it is set too rich. It also sounds like the governor is way out of adjustment. How many volts is the generator producing? At this point, a frequency test is the best test. Does your meter measure frequency? If not, do you know anyone who has a frequency meter that you could borrow? If I knew the voltage and frequency, it would really help.

Did you also replace the spark plugs when you tuned it up? If not, get a set of Champion plugs for it. I have seen many Onan's not run on other brands for some reason (I don't know why).

Let me know what you find.

Hank