J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

I have a Huskee riding mower blades wont engage because of

I have a Huskee riding mower blades won't engage because of 9" spring broken. Can't figure out where this spring goes. It's not listed on parts list
What is the model number from under the seat?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

13a5450f1311e227g600474497005

Huskee Model series 400 38" cut about 12 years old

Did you buy a new spring? What part number did you buy?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

new spring

(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

See attached link and zoom in on it. The spring is shown as item 51. It connects to the bolt in the underside of the rear deck hanger and then go back to the rear of the tractor. Most of them have a long bolt that stick down from the bottom of the transaxle or a hole at the rear of the tractor frame.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=mtd&mn=13A5450F131+%281997%29&dn=00748000009

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

is bolt or hole to one side?

I have to leave for church will keep window open until I get back --sorry!

Yes it will be to one side or the other.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

no bolt under the deck, model has a metal plate with a bolt from it, but can't find where to connect to back.

The bolt will be on the large metal plate that the deck attaches to. The other end will connect at the rear of the tractor through a hole in the rear plate that goes across the back of the tractor or a long bolt that sticks down off of the transaxle.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

do i need a certain tool to reach the back?

That is the fun part. I take a heavy rope like one for the starter string on a lawmower and put through the end of the spring. I then put my feet on the rear wheels while sitting on my butt and pull it bak in place. Just cut the rope off after you are done.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Does that mean that this hooks under the axle to the very back of the mower? We've tried several different ways and still can't find the right spot. Is there a diagram?

Look on the bottom side of the transaxle. It will have four bolts that secure it to the frame. One side should have a triangle bracket that comes off of the bottom.

See attached link. Item 12 on the bottom of the page.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=mtd&mn=13A5450F131+%281997%29&dn=00748000011

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The triangle is part of the axle. Found these numbers on the axle. Model #6180766A

Serial #H060012

MTD(NNN) NNN-NNNN

See this link and look at item 12 at the bottom of the page. The spring goes over the notch.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It appears I am missing that piece. But have "engineered" a quick fix.

THANKS!!

Thank you.