Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I HAVE A MCCULLOCH GENERATOR 5700 AMPS AND IS NOT PUTTING OUT

I HAVE A MCCULLOCH GENERATOR 5700 AMPS AND IS NOT PUTTING OUT ANY POWER ? ONLY USED 3 TIMES. THIS IS A PULL CORD TYPE. PLEASE ADVISE ?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 7 years ago.

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to try and help you. I am certainly not trying to scare you, but there are a few caveats that you need to be aware of up front. Very few portable generators are made here, most of them are overseas. Even the so called name brand gensets like McCulloch and HomeLite are not made by these companies, they are outsourced. As a result, manuals, schematics, helpful service and even parts can be very difficult to come by.

Do you have a good multi meter and know how to use it? It will be absolutely necessary to have one. Are you comfortable with removing and replacing wires?

Without a schematic, these types of gensets are difficult at best to troubleshoot when I am actually looking at it. This difficulty is compounded by not knowing what you are seeing.

Also, it would help if I had the model number. Do you have an owners manual? If you do, please read everything in it and see if you can find any reference to the words 'brushes, brushless, PMG, permanent magnet or fixed magnet'.

I assume the engine side is running OK. Have you tried resetting the circuit breakers?

How many and what type of outlets are on the control panel? Are there any guages or meters on the panel? I need you to be as specific as possible.

Hank

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

HANK,

YES THE CURCUIT BREAKERS WERE RESET. THE ENGINE IS RUNNING FINE. THE GENERATOR WAS PUTTING OUT ONLY ONE AMP. 4 THREE PRONG AND ONE FOUR PRONG. FG6000MK GASOLINE POWER.

THANK YOU, JILL

Expert:  Hank F. replied 7 years ago.

Ok, but I assume you mean it was putting out 1 volt rather than 1 amp? This issue will definitely be found in one of three places - excitation, field, or collection. We need to find out which. What I need you to do is go to the genset and remove the power panel. Most are held on by 4 or 6 screws, and can be pulled loose enough to see behind it. Somewhere back there, you will see a mess of wires. I need you to find the spot where all of the wires come through a hole or grommet going into the generator itself. Most of the time all of the wires will either be tied together or be inside a protective sleeve. I need to know how many wires are coming out of the generator (should be 3-6), larger or smaller than the ones connected to the back of the outlet itself, color or number , and where they go.

Hank

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
HANK THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. WE WILL TAKE YOUR RECOMMENDATION BUT WILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS AT A LATER TIME...JILL
Expert:  Hank F. replied 7 years ago.

OK