Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

i have a coleman powermate 8750 generator w/ honda ovh motor

Customer Question

i have a coleman powermate 8750 generator w/ honda ovh motor..runs great on one pull however im not getting any current to either the 110 or 220 volt outlets. the reset buttons just flop and wont engage to reset. i took outley cover off and tested all wires with voltage tester..result--no power coming out of black box at rear of generator where i believe the rectifier is located...thought i would seek ur help before opening up the back ( 4 bolts ) i assume something might have gone bad...this generator is only used 3 times to backfeed my house panel when we get hurricane power outs and it has caused surges in the past that burned out my high def tv, computer and keyboard piano as well as nintendo .. what part do u think i need to fix it?? i have serial and model # XXXXX here

no power to outlets in my coleman powermate 8750 generator w/ honda engine..u may need model # XXXXX is : PM0647000 serial# XXXXX XXXXX Customer
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Chris Huber replied 5 years ago.
Hi, you may not need to replace anything. First, remove the snap fit rectangular cover on the generator endbell. If 2 screw mounted terminals are visible one on each side of the rotor bearing in the center of the rectangle, those are brush connectors and it is of brush- type. If all you see is a rotor bearing it is brushles. Let me know which type you have and I will direct you how to restore residual magnetism in the rotor, which is the most common reason for no power output from a generator that sits a lot.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there ARE 2 screw mounted terminals as u described. no power to terminals when running.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
im still waiting for u to tell me how to restore residual magnetism to my generator now that we have established it is the brush-type with the 2 screws....please get back to me as soon as u can. thank u
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 5 years ago.

I don't want to step an another experts question, but here is an easy way to fix your problem....I think.

The need to"Flash" or (Prime the pump as we used to say) occurs very often in generators that are not used very often.

Field Flashing of Portable Generators

This tip comes from the Briggs & Stratton Customer Education Department. As an alternative to flashing a rotor winding with a battery applied to the brushes, an electric drill may be used. Follow these steps to flash the generator:

• Plug the electric drill into the generator receptacle. (Cordless drills do not work)
  • If the drill is reversible, move the direction switch to the forward position.
  • Start the generator
  • While depressing the trigger on the drill, spin the drill chuck in reverse direction. This will excite the field and the generator will now produce electricity. If spinning the chuck one direction does not work, try spinning the chuck in the other direction as you may have the reverse switch positioned backwards.

Use caution not to get your hand or other materials caught in the chuck. As soon as the field is excited, the generator will produce power and the drill will turn on.

The reason this works is because the electric motor in the drill will act as a small generator when spun backwards. The magnets in the drill's motor induce a voltage into the motor windings, which is fed back through the trigger, cord and into the generators receptacle. From there it goes into the power winding of the stator. The voltage going through the power winding creates a magnetic field, which is intensified due to the iron core of the stator laminations. The rotor intersects this magnetic field as it is spun past the power winding, thus inducing a voltage in the rotor winding. Once current flow is present in the rotor winding the rotor has been flashed.

If flashing the field does not make the generator work, you may have additional problems, besides a lack of magnetism in the rotor. Further testing will be needed. Hopefully, this will give a simple way to field flash your generator if needed

Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience: I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this did not work....i tried 6 times and rotatedthe chuck in both directions even tried reversing polarity plugging in both ways. the drill is only a 2 prong ....did it need to be a 3 prong with a ground??? none of my drills r 3 prong
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 5 years ago.

Yes, you should try a 3-prong drill, and it needs to be a fairly large drill. Some of the cheaper and smaller drills don't have enough guts inside to do the job.

This doesn't mean that this is the only problem, but it was a really good place to start.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i will try it with a grounded 3 prong drill in the morning and let u know how it works..i'll use my largest drill which is a portacable hammer drill very heavy duty with powerful motor..ill have to splice on a 3 prong male to it so thats why it will be tomorro...if it works i will pay double to u as bonus..thanks for ur prompt response
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
im sorry but even my largest AEG hammer drill is only a 2 prong. actually I can't remember any of my drills having a 3 prong plug and I've been in construction for over 25 years... what are my other methods of flashing the generator??? with battery perhaps??
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 5 years ago.

I'll have to do some research on this as this is the Only way I have done it. There is a more complicated Battery way to do it, I just haven't done it that way.

Try using your biggest drill and see what happens. Hopefully it will work.

If any other expert out there wants to help with this one, It's ok with me.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i tried again but no luck....i dont think a 3 prong would make a difference especially6 since all my biggest drills (AEG)1/2" for instance and quite hefty...all come with a 2 prong standard plug so if that method has worked in the past I have to assume that they accomplished it will a 2 prong drill....please let me know whats next or if i have to call in a generator repair man which I am really trying to avoid..its only 4 bolts to open up the endbell but i would want to know what to shoot for or replace before doing that...thanks,
Peter Ciani
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 5 years ago.
I consulted with my chief mechanic on this and we have come to the conclusion that, if you have done this right, with a good quality drill, They you most likely have a REAL problem with the generator. A short in the fields, bad capacitor, rectifier, or some other major problem that is going to take a true professional to repair. You could also have a bad ciruit breakers. WE gave it our best shot. Good luck. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks anyway...they took the 9 bucks already...sorry we didnt have a better outcome....brand new honda motor on that thing too...damn
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 5 years ago.
Don't give up on this, take it to a very good generator repair and have them diagnose it. You might pay $25 to find out what it is, but you may be able to have it repaired for less than you think.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks anyway...they took the 9 bucks already...sorry we didnt have a better outcome....brand new honda motor on that thing too...damn..its not the circuit breakers because i tested the wires coming out of end bell to the breakers and had no juice...
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry too, I was hoping that you had a simple problem, I guess it is more complicated than that. Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i ordered new circuit breakers and a capacitor board...hopefully that'll do it but with my luck it'll be the coil
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 5 years ago.
ok, thanks. I think I have probably been all the help I can be on this question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
one last thing to try before opening up the back.....how do I use a 12 volt battery to "prime the pump"
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, I don't know how to do that. I have always used the drill mothod.