Joe Mechanic
Joe Mechanic, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  2 yrs Power Mechanics.. been rebuildind small engines and repair for alot of years
13843461

I have a briggs 16hp vanguard v twin. It was hard to start

Customer Question

I have a briggs 16hp vanguard v twin. It was hard to start and was backfiring thru the carb. i had to keep featering the choke to run. After awhile it would smooth out. now it will not start at all. I have cleaned the carb.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Joe Mechanic replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JA

Have you done a compression test to insure the head gasket is ok?

Also another thing to consider..If this is a carb. Problem you may have a needle and seat sticking causing this problem.. and in this case you would need a complete carb. rebuild as well as new gaskets..
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok I just went out and ran a compression check. I have 155 on cylinder and 160 on the other. I have taken the carb apart and cleaned it. still no start.
Have you verfied that there is spark?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes i have spark if I clean the plugs. After a couple of minutes of trying to start it they are fouled out.
ok, 1 last test.. if you take a few cap fulls of fuel and pour into the intake...will i start briefly?