J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

I have a pushmower Weedeater SQ 4.5 w/ Briggs & Stratten.

Customer Question

I have a pushmower: Weedeater SQ 4.5 w/ Briggs & Stratten. It runs rough speeding up, then down almost cutting out. It's smells like it's running rich, but can't find any exterior adjustment. Changed the air filter. I'm a novice. How much trouble can I get in trying to repair? I don't see bowl/valve as in older mowers. Are they "buried"?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Where is the gas cap? Is it at the rear of the engine or on the side?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The top. It has a push primer on side
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
What is the model number off of the unit id sticker on the deck?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
barcode w number: 0511035492205
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tag on deck: Electrolux Model XXXXXXXXX 01 Serial 122205M 063977
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Please enter it again and leave somespaces between the numbers. It shows up as xxxxx
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Model XXXXXXXXX 01
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
did it work that time?
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Just enter the numbers and leave spaces.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't see any text in the answer. Could you do it again, or am I doing something wrong?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
XXXXXXXXXXX
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.

Sometimes this site does that. Enter each number and leave a space between.

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
9 6 1 1 4 0 0 0 3 0 1
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.

The problem is most likely a stiff diapram in the carb. Take the air cleaner off of the engine. The carb is directly below it. It is the plastic item that mounts to the top of the carb abd has the primer bulb in the side of it. The diapram is between the carb and the tank. There are different ones, so you will need the models numbers for the engine. See attached picture for model number locations.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mine's not quite like that. No plastic body. There is a throat assy with bulb and hose from underneath cord housing mounted directly to top of tank.
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Get me the model numbers off of the engine. They will be in the same locations.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The barcode number was the only one on engine. There is an emissions tag:

Family 6 B S X S . 1 5 8 1 V G air index 3

I may just have to give up on this and take it to a shop.

Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Find the spark plug wire. Look on the sheetmetal housing that goes across the front of the engine. Look right above where the plug wire goes under the cover.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK. It was up under a lip. Hard to see.

Model O H 9 0 2

Type 0 3 3 3 E 1

Code 0 5 1 1 0 3 3 5

Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.

See attached link. This is the breakdown for your carb. The model number is XXXXX You will need these numbers to order the parts.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=briggs_and_stratton&mn=10H902-0333-E1&dn=57160004

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Which part will I be replacing?
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Item 394.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The gasket looking thing?
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
That is it. It is a gasket and a diapram.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. Thanks.
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.