J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

ok, i have a john deere 214, getting fire, fuel, and flywheel

ok, i have a john deere 214, getting fire, fuel, and flywheel key is fine. wont start... cranks and cranks, nothing!!! any ideas???
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Will the engine start if you spray ether into the carb?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no, i can dump gas in the head. still nothing, ive cleaned the carb. fuel pump is working fine. im lost

Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Have you checked the compression?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

well, kinda, pulled the head off. checked thevalves and piston. everything seems to be good. no scoring, valves open and close good.

Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
I would do a compression test on the engine. Everything may look good, but the rings could be wore out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, u dont think it could be a wiring issue?? i dont have a compression tester but i will pull the plug real quick and see what i can feel.. any other ideas??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok, this thing has plenty of compression

Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
If you have spark at the plug and fuel in the cylinder. The engine should fire if it has compression. Have you checked the points and checked the timing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

flywheel key is fine. magneto is ohms testing. where next?

Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
This engine should not have a magneto ignition. I tshould be a kohler with a 12 volt coil and points that are under a cover on the side of the engine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it has points on the front of the engine but also has a stator coil under the flywheel. but if the points are bad would it still fire??
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.

Does it have an automotive style coil on the side of the engine?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
oil filled coil, yes, cannister style. when key is off, i have no resistance on points when they are open but if i turn the key on i do
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
The stator coil under the flywheel is only for the charging of the engine. I Would check the points with a timing light to make sure it is not firing too much out of time.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, i will check them and get back to u in a while. sorry this is takin so long its driving me nuts,, thanks
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Let me know. I will be off of here for a while.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok, whats the easiest way to adjust the valves. what do i have to take off to get to the adjusters

Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.

Just remove the breather cover in behind the carb. It is the square cover with a bolt in the center. See attached link. If it does not open the serive manual up just enter K321 in the model number box.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/manuals/landing.htm

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do you know what the gap should be on them??? oh and i had about 65lbs on compression test
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.

.005" on the intake and .011" on the exhaust.

J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.