J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

How do I remove the string head on the trimmer to replace with

Customer Question

How do I remove the string head on the trimmer to replace with a head using blades.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
What model of trimmer is it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is a TB525CS Troy Bilt 4 cycle gas trimmer. I want to remove the head which
contains the string and replace it with the head that contains the blades. However,
I am unable to get the string head (which came on it new) off to put the blade head on.

Thank you so much. Please advise procedure as I'm not too mechanically inclined.

Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
The trimmer will have a model and serial number on it. The model number will start with 41. Please provide those numbers.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

J.R. Sorry for the delay as I had to go out to the barn to look at the trimmer.
41BDT52C966
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.

See attached link. The trimmer you have you have to buy the brushcutter assembly separate. You will just unhook the shaft and change it out.

http://lawnandgarden.owneriq.net/manuals/mfg/troybilt/big_red_tb575ss.html

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hello J.R.

You certainly have not answered my question by telling me I need to buy the brushcutter
assembly. I don't want to cut brush. I merely want to remove the head which has the
string line in it and replace it with the head that holds the plastic cutting blades.

I believe I would have to turn the string head counter clockwise and the lower portion in
a clockwise direction. However these are so tight I cannot get them to budge. Am I
on the right track? Your instructions and diagram would be most helpful.
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.

Hold the outer part of the hosuing and turn the bump head portion clockwise to remove the spool assemly. You will then have to remove a few clips that secure it to the shaft. The head on you unit is not threaded on, that is why I am saying that you most likely will not be able to put a universal head with blades on it.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=troy_bilt&mn=TB525CS+41ADT52C711&dn=769019200001