J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

I have a 14hp kohler k321 spec 6006b with no spark. The coil

Customer Question

I have a 14hp kohler k321 spec 6006b with no spark. The coil and trigger are new. Help?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  James W replied 7 years ago.

Most commone problems that you may Not have already thought of are.

1. Bad safety switch in the SEAT. Also known as a dead man switch. If you fall off, it kills the engine.. It may need replaced because it shuts off the spark by shorting the coil out. Just like turning the key off..

2. And of course that means it could also be a bad ignition switch.

3. It could also be ANY wire that connects any electrical component in this part of the electrical systm.

It coul dbe worn and shorted out.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No safety switches on this unit. It has a breakerless ignition system. All wires and connections were verified prior to posting.
Expert:  James W replied 7 years ago.

I have never seen a unit that was NEW enough to have a breakerless ignition that did not have safety switches. Has someone taken them OFF, or could one be hidden INSIDE the seat?

Did you check the ignition switch?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is a 1971 Gravely 432 Commercial tractor that we bought new. Nothing has been altered from factory. It ran last fall when we put it away for the winter, then this spring no spark. The ignition switch grounds the coil in the off position, wires and function verified.
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.

Do you have a service manual for your engine? Have you done all of the tests per the service manual?

Expert:  James W replied 7 years ago.

I have provided a link to the owners and service manual for this engine.

You may download it for free at

Perhaps it will be helpful to you.

This unit was available with both magnito in its early years and breakerless ignition later on.

You may wish to use it as a helpful guide to go through to help troubleshoot.

Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.

See attached link for the service manual. Go to section 8. It will give you the instructions for using a meter to test the trigger and the coil. Make sure you have the trigger leads wired up correctly.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have done all of the tests per the both the Kohler and Gravely service manuals, that is why I replaced the trigger and coil.
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
Have you checked the wiring with a meter to verify you have power at the coil?