J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

How to measure resistance on an ignition coil, such as from

Customer Question

How to measure resistance on an ignition coil, such as from plug wire to coil ? Will this test the coil ?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
What make and model of engine are we dealing with?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Shindaiwa LT-20 Trimmer with a S20EL engine and a 70030-71600 ignition coil...I think. I cant get the plug to fire. I mounted the coil to another trimmer to see if the magnets would excite the coil to fire but nothing, I am wondering if the insulation has weakened inside the coil causing a short inside, although it measures high resistance 8K ohms I read 2 other small weed-trimmer coils at 5K ohms (different mfg) . Either Shindaiwa coils are a higher resistance or the insulation inside the unit has weakened? Maybe I just need to install a new coil.
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
The only way to test the coil without an expensive ignition tester ($1000.00) is to unplug the small wire from the coil and then check for spark. If you do not have a good spark with the small wire unhooked, then the coil is likely bad.