J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

Hello, I have a 3 hp briggs and stratton motor on my edger.

Hello, I have a 3 hp briggs and stratton motor on my edger. It is running rough, will not stay running. The engine puffs out black smoke. Have had the carburetor apart and the gasket between the carb and gas tank is all but gone. I can not find a repair manual for this motor or carborator. Any suggestions on repairs or manual?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
Look on the top of the engine near where the plug wire comes out from under the cover. There will be numbers stamped here. Provide those numbers.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hello, There aren't any numbers where you directed. I did however find numbers near the carburetor Model # XXXXX Type 1765 Code# XXXXX 91120403
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.

See attached link for a breakdown of your engine. Briggs does not offer the repair manuals on line like some of the other do. The repair manual you need is Briggs part number 270962.