J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

I am trying to align timing marks on 5 hp briggs model 130232

I am trying to align timing marks on 5 hp briggs model 130232 and am not sure how to align cam timing. I think the cam gear drilled mark and the crank counterweight drilled mark are to be aligned, not the cam mark and the tooth the crank mark is beside. Is this correct?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
To time it you will line up the dot on the cam gear with the line that is stamped into the crank gear.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry but this crankshaft doesn't have a stamped line. It has a drilled dot on crank counterweight. There is a bearing above the crank gear. Is this the same precedure? Please call if you don't understand my question. Thank you
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
Sorry about that. I thought your engine had the plain bearing. On your engine you align the dot on the cam with the dot on the counterweight.