Joe Mechanic
Joe Mechanic, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  2 yrs Power Mechanics.. been rebuildind small engines and repair for alot of years
13843461

my troy bilt self propelled mower runs too slow. I replaced

my troy bilt self propelled mower runs too slow. I replaced belt and also the cable still does not have any speed just operates at one speed a slow walk
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Joe Mechanic replied 5 years ago.
is this the personal pace model? or the conventional style with the bar that swings to the handle?
actually personal pace is toro.. sorry.. are you noticing any slippage while using the mower>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no mower cuts ok no problem I just cannot get it to go at a faster pace. I replaced the belt and the throttle cable. I was wondering if they sent me the wrong cable. It is a troybilt model @12AF690711 a Tuff Cut 230 a 6.75 HP
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
has the bar that you push forward to go faster supposedly, it worked when new
hows the belt tension? does it seem sloppy?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is not sloppy but it doesn't seem to tightned enough when the control is pushed forward to increase the speed, that is why I wondered if they sent me the correct length cable
ok, this is one of those personal pace mowers... as irony would have it i have 1 also i use for my own lawn.. yes i would have to wonder about that cable.. as that would effect it.. on the back of the mower underneath the flap where the bag unit goes.. there should be a model # XXXXX did you use that number when getting your parts? if not i would say chances are they gave you the wrong cable as there are about a half dozen different sizes.. see what you can find out about that and let me know..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I will look for the # XXXXX used the model # XXXXX the deck when I ordered part. The # XXXXX listed and I figured it was the right part. So I ordered belt which seems to be the same as the original and I ordered the cable, but ever since I put the cable on the mower runs very slow.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the only model # XXXXX XXXXX one I told you about. I looked in my owners manual and it call for model # XXXXX Smart Speed Control cable.
That is what they said they sent. Also in the manual they list a #746-04013 SmartSpeed/SSfwde Driver Cable. What is that?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got to looking at my old invoice and I did revcieve both cables. I replaced the 746-04014 control and the 746-04013 SS/fwd drive cable.
ok, think cable is ok then.. Million dollar question... were you having this problem before the old cable went bad on you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, cable was frayed by the adjuster so I figured it need replaced I also replaced the control cable and belt . Today I looked up the OEM belt # XXXXX found that the belt I received was different # XXXXX it seemed to be the same size.
if the #'s are both OEM and both are diferent.. then they are infact different sizes..If the cable is right then the belt is to big.. i recommend swapping out the belt and see if that changes the performance.. i dont believe you have any problems with the gear box for or gearing being that the unit worked as it should before the replacements
Joe Mechanic, Small Engine Technician
Experience: 2 yrs Power Mechanics.. been rebuildind small engines and repair for alot of years