dream4x4
dream4x4, Technician
Experience:  have been a mechanic for 18 years
17413158

Have a kohler m18 magnum engine. It keeps blowing the front

Have a kohler m18 magnum engine. It keeps blowing the front seal behine the flywheel. Someone has put a homemade exhaust system with 3 pipe 90s on each side. Can this cause a restriction that could cause pressure in the crankcase. Is there any way the oil pump relief valve could cause this problem. What are your thought
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  dream4x4 replied 7 years ago.
I will try to assit you with this. I really dont believe that the exhaust is the problem. As far as the oil pump yes if the relief valve isnt working then the oilling sytem can have way more presure than required. But my first thought is I would check to see if the crank has any front to back or side to side movement, you may have to use a pipe or something to get a little leverage. if there is movement then we have big problems, im not sure if this engine has crank bearings or not , if it does then the crank bearings are bad . if it doesnt then you have to replace the block. also when you remove the seal you need to inspect the crank for a grove, where the seal lip touches the crank shaft if there is a grove then you will need to get a speedy sleeve that covers the grove.... I still have a hard time believeing that a piece of rubber can wear a grove into steel, but it does. Steve
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THE CRANKSHAFT HAS .013 END PLAY. I BELIEVE THIS IS WITHIN TOLERENCE.
WOULD YOU SUGGEST TO TAKE THE END COVER OFF AND CHECK THE SPRING & BALL THAT MAKE UP THE OIL PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE. THIS ENGINE HAS A OIL BYPASS COVER INSTEAD OF A OIL FILTER. WOULD YOU SUGGEST PUTTING A OIL FILTER ADAPTER & OIL FILTER ON IT.

THANKS
Expert:  dream4x4 replied 7 years ago.

yes that is pretty good on the tolerence. just wanted you to ckeck, have seen several this year out of spec. I personaly would install a oil filter, I believe it makes the engine last a lot longer because then the oil is filterd, but if you dont go that route then yes it would be a good idea to check the spring and ball. Steve