PK., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Retired Owner of a full service shop and national parts sales website.

I have a Troy-Bilt Tuff Cut 210 (a few years old). It wont

Customer Question

I have a Troy-Bilt Tuff Cut 210 (a few years old). It won't start. Have replaced oil, fuel, air filter, spark plug, & primer bulb. Have sprayed cleaners into spark plug opening (as directed on product) and into carburetor. Mower starts with cleaner sprayed into spark plug opening, but it dies quickly. I don't hear fuel when pressing primer bulb at all. Checked fuel line and found no blockage. What do I do next?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  PK. replied 7 years ago.
You have a carburetor that probably needs to come apart and be rebuilt. It should be soaked in a soak can of carb cleaner as spray cleaner probably won't get it clean enough. It may even need to be replaced which is often a more cost-effective way to go anyway.

If the float bowl is held on with the main jet, you can try just cleaning that. If the bowl is held on with a small bolt, remove that and see if it has holes in the side and in the end If so, this is the main mixture jet and should be cleaned out.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks, PK.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is held on with a small bolt on the bottom. It took it off earlier and everything looked clean inside. Of course, I can't see into tiny openings, which I am guessing is where the problem is. If I want to replace it, how much does that normally cost and where do you suggest I buy it?
Expert:  PK. replied 7 years ago.
If you can give me the make, model, type and serial or code numbers off the engine I can get you the part numbers. Thanks, PK.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The engine is a Briggs, 6.75hp, serial # XXXXX
Expert:  PK. replied 7 years ago.
The primer bulb style carburetor for your engine is P/N 498170 and I have it listed at $36.25. You can use that part number at any small engine parts supplier. Googling the number should give you several.

We replace this style carburetor on a regular basis as it's one that by the time you factor in cleaning and a new kit and the time involved, you could have replaced it for less.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. I guess I'll have to wait until Monday to buy one locally, but now I know exactly which one I need. I appreciate your time today, thanks again!
Expert:  PK. replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for Accepting. If you have any troubles just come back to this same question and you won't have to go through the deposit process again.