Delsley Jr
Delsley Jr, Mechanic
Experience:  Handyman & Small engine repair Business owner
13864765

Old Craftsman tiller wont start. Spraying starter fluid starts

Old Craftsman tiller wont start. Spraying starter fluid starts it for a second or two. Replaced oil and fuel, and spark plug.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Delsley Jr replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer.... I would pull the fuel line off and make sure it's getting a good flow of fuel to the carb. If it is then I would pull the carb apart and clean it and maybe rebuild it. It sounds like you might have a stuck needle valve or float.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The carb sits directly on top of the fuel tank, I don't see a fuel line. Would it be directly under the carb? Meaning, I would have to remove the carb to see it? I tried to find some info on sear's site, but i think it is beyond their records. I also forgot to mention that when it starts, it make a horrible screeching sound.
If it sits on top of the fuel tank then there won't be a fuel line. Most likely this is a diaphragm type carb and when this problem happens the carb usually needs rebuilt because the diaphragm gets bad in them.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Where can I get parts for it?
Are you looking to get them localy or online?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
online would be fine. Also, any idea what the horrible screech is? By the way, the model number from the badge is:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Is it a screech when it's idling or when use?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
while it idles, and it only stays running for a couple of seconds
It maybe one of the pulleys on it thats making it make the screeching noise. I'm working on finding a site for you to be able to order your parts from.
Does this have a Briggs and Stratton engine in it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, 5HP
<p>Here's a link to Jacks Small Engines: <a href="http://www.jackssmallengines.com/index.html">http://www.jackssmallengines.com/index.html</a>.                                </p><p>Their number is XXXXX hours are Monday - Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm Eastern Standard Time.                   &nb sp;                    </p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so in your opinion i need to replace the diaphram?
Yes, and clean the carb out good and spray it down with some carb cleaner why you have it apart.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
One more question, do i need to worry about the transmission at all? Is there a place to change the oil or lubricate it? The guy I bought this from had it sitting in his yard for a year.
I don't have a diagram on it but there should be a small drain plug on it and a place to fill it. Sorry I don't have a diagram to show you for sure on on it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no problem, I'll look for it. Does it just use transmission fluid or something special
<p>No it would take a gear oil in it.</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks for your help!
Your welcome