Rick Armour
Rick Armour, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  40 years experience
14661273

I have a Scotts 16 HP, 42 riding lawn mower mfgrd by John

I have a Scotts 16 HP, 42" riding lawn mower mfgr'd by John Deere. Got it out for the season. Wouldn't start right a way - tried using starter fluid plus jump starting and finally got it going. But when I turned it off would not start again. Bought a new battery - problem solved but when mowing the lawn it would stall out and stop whenever I went uphill - perpendicular to the slope. Ran ok on the level; not on an incline. So, I changed the fuel filter and problem seemed to be solved. However after it was parked for awhile I noticed it dripping gas from the carburetor and it didn't stop till the tank was empty (I drained it) Why does it continue to feed gas to the engine when turned off? The fuel filter that the John Deere dealer sold me in no way resembles the one I removed but he swore it was the correct one. Filter that was in before is an AM116304 (which replaced the AM38708, original filter on machine when new) The new fuel filter the JD dealer sold me is an AM107314. Thanks a lot.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick Armour replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer!

I will be glad to help you with this.

What is happening is that you have a small piece of 'trash' caught-up in the carburetors' needle and seat. The debris causes the needle not to seat all the way, and the result is that fuel runs continually into your carburetor bowl. That is why you saw it leaking out off the overflow after you shut it off. It also explains why the mower would act different on inclines and okay on level ground. The bowls was so full it would flood out the motor on inclines, and on level ground it would use enough of the fuel to keep lean.

The remedy is to clean the debris out. You can try to disconnect the fuel line that leads into the carburetor, and spray some carb-cleaner into the orifice to un-clog the debris. This works some of the time. If it does not, the carburetor will have to be taken apart, and the needle and seat cleaned or replaced.

graphic

In the picture above (typical), the bowl is #86, the float is #84, and the needle is #83.

Also, fuel filters are rather generic and has nothing to do with your carburetor overflowing.

I hope this helps, Rick

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Rick - I'm about as much mechanic as I am astronaut.I am going to accept your answer but have a couple more questions:
Do I buy a product called "carb. cleaner" or is there any alternative product I may already have around the house that I could use?
Does replacing and or cleaning the needle and seat entail removing the whole carb. unit from tractor. If so, would it make sense to take (just the carb.) to a JD dealer (or small engine repair), have them do the work and then replace it?
Again thanks and say a prayer that I don't screw the whole thing up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just thought of something else: In this drawing you sent me do you have an index page to identify the various parts by the numbers - or at least which are the items I am going to be concerned with. This is a Kohler engine by the way - if that adds anything.

Yes, you CAN do this 'outside cleaning attempt' yourself. And no, the carb does not need to be taken off to do the inside cleaning. I will be glad to step you through each easy step.

The carb cleaner is nothing special, even WD-40 SPRAYED into the orifice works. The main thing is SPRAY. Some air might even work !

I can give you specific pics and instruction if you can give me the model/serial number from the engine.

Please don't accept my answer until your mower is running correctly.

Our Higher Power loves the Earth to be well manicured, and will help you in your attempt to beautify, Rick

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK if you're comfortable waiting 'til the unit is running before I give my final acceptance that's more than fair and I appreciate your patience. Since it's 11PM I'm calling it a night and will proceed tomorrow to follow your instructions. Here's some Kohler numbers:
Model CV16S; Serial # XXXXX Family SKH426U1G2RB;Spec.# XXXXX:Displ(CC)426
Thanks again - will report back 4/24 AM
Joe Waters
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Rick - I thought I sent this but I can't find it in the file. If you are comfortable waiting until the unit is running correctly I 'll go that way and really appreciate your patience and help. Since it is after 11PM here I'm calling it a day and will be in touch 4/24 AM Thanks again. If you get this twice - it's my mess-up.
Here are some Kohler engine numbers - Model CV16S; Serial # XXXXX Family SKH426U1G2RB; Spec.# XXXXX; Displ(CC)426

Hello again Joe,

I wanted to first check and see if you have had time to try the 'outside cleaning procedure'.

You will know if it has been a success when you pour a small amount of fuel in, run it briefly and see no leaks under the carb.

Thanks, Rick

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Rick I think the problem is solved - thanks to you. I blew out the carb; put about a pint of fuel in the tank, ran the machine around the yard (with air filter off) and it has been sitting for about 1/2 hour. There is no sign of dripping under the carb. If you believe there is nothing else that needs to be done let me know and I'll hit the "accept" button.Thanks so very much.
One more extra item. Would you know where I might get a drawing of the motor drive belt as installed for this unit. My operators manual only has a schematic for the mower drive belt and J.D. want $90 plus for a manual that has the drawing I need.

That's GREAT news Joe !

I will look for the schematic, please give me the serial number once again without the # XXXXX front. The site thinks we are trying to share personal information, ( a no-no ) lol

In God we trust, Rick

Rick Armour, Small Engine Technician
Experience: 40 years experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
XXXXXXXXXX I'll send this and hit the accept button
Thanks again

Thank you for the accept !

The site still thinks we are trying to share personal information, so I will cross reference your OEM parts numbers to determine your exact model and TRY to find a drive belt diagram for you.

Best regards, Rick

Hello again,

I can probably find it with the first six numbers of the serial number.

Thanks, Rick

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That number I had before was for the engine. The tractor is GX1642S. The thing has Scotts name on it mfgr'd by John Deere. Thanks again.

There we go, be back soon, Rick

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Good luck
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
To: XXXXX XXXXX
I am getting confused; I have accepted the ONE answer I have been given. There is NOT a 2nd transaction in process but I can't seem to log out without an iconpopping up requesting me to accept

Hello again Joe,

I have searched intently for a drive diagram, and have not had much luck. John Deere, who bought out Scotts, does not give me a parts diagram on your model. They should, however, be able to provide you with a one page print out of your drive diagram.

The best I was able to do was a cross-match to a Murray diagram ( which is not very good) http://bsintek.basco.com/MDEXResultsPages/PDFDisplayPage.aspx?fileName=heCBEN8dwOZrE5CGh5jbp796Dq

Let your John Deere dealer know that you will be happy to buy the belt from him/her if they will provide an instruction sheet.

Hope this helps, and good luck, Rick

Joe, I see as I was posting my last answer, you have encountered a site problem. I will send this to customer service immediately.

Thanks, Rick

Rick Armour, Small Engine Technician
Experience: 40 years experience