sam the tech
sam the tech, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have owned and operated a small engine shop for 10 years. Certified tech. for Briggs,Kohler,Honda,Kawasaki
16639046

I have a honda garden tractor HT3810 How do I adjust the

Customer Question

I have a honda garden tractor HT3810 How do I adjust the clutch?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Chris Huber replied 5 years ago.
The clutch pedal removes the tension from the belt that drive the transmission, and usually doesn't have any adjustable linkage, as it throws the idler pulley several inches to disengage. What symptom are you experiencing that you want to adjust the clutch for?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Chris, I had the back cover off, (sheet metal) so I could better see why the engine would not transmit power to the transmission. When I shifted the mower into gear (the engine running) I could see that the clutch on the drive line between the engine and transmission still had space between the clutch plate and the driven side of the clutch, which allowed the pressure plate turn without contacting the clutch disk. I tried adjusting the linkage, but it had no effect and the space between the clutch plate and disk did not contact. With the mower in gear and the engine running, the clutch still had approx. 1/16 of an inch space between the clutch disk and pressure plate.
Expert:  sam the tech replied 5 years ago.

Hi

How much space do you have between plate and disc when the clutch is disengaged.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
reference (clutch plate spacing) Chris, looks like about 1/8 of an inch space when clutch is disengaged. One more thing, I could get the tractor to move a little by sitting in the seat and rocking the tractor while it was running and in gear.

Ok

I did not work on one of these for a while but i will try and help you. So it looks like the gap will close about 1/16 inch. There should be three nuts out around the clutch plate i think if you tighten those up it should close the gap. Turn them all the same amount of turns to keep the pressure even.