J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

How do I wire the ignition switch on a M18 kohler engine

What are the model and spec numbers on the engine? What kind of equipment is the engine on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The model is M18S. Spec #24501. The engine was put in a Power Trac 1425 (now called a 425, see at Power-trac.com). The engine is replacing a 25 HP Kohler (CH25S, #68500). Although my machine came with a 25 HP engine, the same machine was also manufactured with 18 & 22 HP engines. The Power Trac has an ignition switch with 5 prongs labelled with B G L S M.

OK,

The wires should be like this. The B will be a wire coming directly from the solenoid. It will be attached at the same side as the wire coming from the battery. The G is a ground wire. The L wire is for the lights. The S wire will go to the small terminal on the solenoid to energize it to send the current to the starter. The M is the magneto ground wire. It will need to connect directly to the small spade terminal on the ignition module to shut off the tractor.