sam the tech
sam the tech, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have owned and operated a small engine shop for 10 years. Certified tech. for Briggs,Kohler,Honda,Kawasaki

How to set valve timing on Honda Lawn mower HRR2164VXA S/N

Customer Question

How to set valve timing on Honda Lawn mower HRR2164VXA S/N MZCG-
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Are you wanting to set the timing or adjust the valves clearances?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Installed new crankshaft and did not get the valve timing set correctly.
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
What are the model numbers off of the engine? Are you wanting to know how to align the timing mark on the crank with the cam or at what clearance to adjust the valves?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Trying to get TDC on crank in proper positon relative to timing gear
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
The crank and timing gear should have dots or dimples on them to reference.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The crank has an arrow in alignment with the bearing throw. The cam has some lines. The last guy I paid for said to line up the two lines on the timing gear to be parallel with the top of the piston. The engine barely ran. I ran it half of last year with an eyeball setting of TDC equals exhaust valve start to open.
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.

I am going to opt out on this one since I have never seen one with this setup as far as the arrow and two lines. Once I opt out it will open it up for other experts to answer. I would like to help you, but I do not want to mislead you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Someone must have the Honda engine manual. This is a rubber belt driven plastic timing gear that the cam is mounted on. I have tried to find a manual but have been unsuccessful.

Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
What are the model numbers off of the engine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No model number but S/N is GJAEA-5871161 NU4**
Expert:  sam the tech replied 5 years ago.

Hi

Here is a diagram to set timing.

graphic

sam the tech, Small Engine Technician
Experience: I have owned and operated a small engine shop for 10 years. Certified tech. for Briggs,Kohler,Honda,Kawasaki