J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

I have a 1975 or so MTD rototiller with reverse, that has a

I have a 1975 or so MTD rototiller with reverse, that has a briggs-stratton motor on it. I'm wondering if anyone knows how the drive belts are routed on the pulleys. Its is a vertical shaft and the pulley assembly sits under a housing beneath the motor.

Hi

What is the model number?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the numbers are worn off. all i know its a MTD 3.5. with reverse. I was told the model number was 217-385-372c or 217-412-000. I was also told it used a 51 inch belt and 27inch belt. thanks

graphic

Hi

Here is a diagram

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

No, this is not the unit. my mtd has a vertical shaft motor. the drive pulley assembly is under a shroud that the motor sits on top of. I think the model number is XXXXX or 217-412-000

graphicI did some digging through my old mtd microfiche and found a tiller with a vertical shaft engine. It was back in the 1970's. I found a model number 217-200a. I looked for a diagram on the net, but was unable to find one so I will try to walk you through the diagram I have. I have no way to get it from microfiche to computer or I would copy it. OK, The first thing you need to determine is which set of pulleys is for reverse and forward. Top or bottom. The diagram I am looking at does not really tell ne whether I am looking at it from above the tiller or below. The forward belt will go around the engine pulley and will then go between the idler and guide and then around the gear case pulley and then a straight shot back to the engine pulley with the other side of the belt. The reverse belt will go from the pulley on the reverse bracket straight to the gearcase around the gearcase pulley and then back to the engine pulley. The backside of the reverse belt will be what makes contact with the pulley so this should be a flat idler with no v in it. Clear as mud? Let me know if you need anything else. I used my digital camera and took a picture off of the microfiche reader. The picture is not the best, XXXXX XXXXX may help you understand it. If this does not look like it let me know.

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Jr-

thats the picture I need... you are awesome! We can see the layout, but we can't read anything. I don't know the length of belts, does it say that on it? I don't know if there is any twisting of the belts necessary. Can you write what it says on the microfeish? or make a cope of it and scan that? Let me know.. if you can do this I will leave awesome feedback and accept thanks

This pictures is the best I can do. I can get you the belt numbers, but I will need to dig it out later today. None of the belts have any twisting in them from what I can see, but I will take another look. Off to work. I will get back to you around 3pm.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
JR--Thank you-- belt number and lengths if possible... you have been such a big help... I've been so frustrated. I have another question... I'm not understanding how the reverse works. if the motor spins the main belt in one direction and the main belt turns the front pulley it will only turn the front pulley in the same direction or not at all how does the reverse belt cause the front pulley to turn in the opposite direction?
The forward belt is a 1/2" x 30" (754-0196) and the reverse is a 1/2" x 25" (754-0106). As far as how the reverse works it appears that is based on the two stage reverse pulley, but from just looking at this picture I am not positive of that.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.