J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

My Troy-Bilt 4-cycle string trimmer has developed a problem

Customer Question

My Troy-Bilt 4-cycle string trimmer has developed a problem after 4 seasons of use. Its hard to start and will only run with the choke on. I've checked the spark plug and cleaned the air filter. The repair place I went to said it was not worth repairing, Troy-Bilt are just poor quality. What should I look at to fix it, or should I just replace it?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
The problem very well could be that the carb just needs rebuilt or it could mean that the valve etc. are leaking. I would have the carb rebuilt and go from there. If the carb rebulid does not cure the problem, then yes I would replace it since the labor to repair is going to cost more than it is worth. If you do buy a new one buy a 2 stroke they last longer and are less expesive to maintain. The reason that most of the manufacturers that are using the 4 stroke engines is simply becuase they are having a hard time meeting emissions standards on their old 2 strokes.