J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

How do i remove clutch from gas trimmer #TB575ss or #TB525

How do i remove clutch from gas trimmer #TB575ss or #TB525cs
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
What kind of trimmer is it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
TRoy Bilt
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
The clutch drum is removed by using a torx bit down through the center of the drum. Once you get the drum off you will see the clutch. The clutch will have arrows on it that tell you which way is off. They make a special tool to remove these, but you can use a set of channel locks and grab hold of the metal parts of the clutch and get them off.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks JR - That was easy enough ... I am trying to remove the starter assembly, the teeth are worn down and it wil not engage the fly wheel assembly.

The problem now is that there is a bushing on the shaft holding the starter,spring and rope assembly in place.

I can't seem to remove the bushing. Is is threaded????

Dazed in Georgia

Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.

What is the actual model number on the sticker of the unit? I know it is a 575, but it should have a long model number. I want to look at the parts diagram since it has been a while since I have has one apart.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

MODEL #TB 525CS. I looked at the parts diagram on manual and i dont see the washer(bushing) that is holding it in place.

other numbers I found

S/N # 1F27DZ1935

Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.

Take a look at this picture and see if you see what it is you are talking about? Is it item 37?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I believe it's part 37 - Push nut? The shaft it attaches to is in inside #46
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
The part looks like what is used kids wagons and toys that had axles. It is a clip that is pressed on. The last one that I works on I bent the tabs up that keep it held to the shaft. I was going to re use it but the tabs broke and I had to buy a new one. Just pry the tabs away from the shaft and it will come off. The first one that I worked on like the I use channel locks and pulled it off, but it gouged up the plastic shaft pretty bad so I didn't do anymore that way. Keep me posted.