J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

engine is blowing oil into carb on 17 hp briggs&stratton intec

engine is blowing oil into carb on 17 hp briggs&stratton intec on craftsman riding lawn mower.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 8 years ago.
Oil blowing into the carb can be a result of a couple of things. The oil could be coming from the breather assembly or it could be coming from the cylinder.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
IT IS COMING FRM CLYNDER , I REMOVED THE BREATHER TO SEE. VALVE OR STUCK RING??
Expert:  J.R. replied 8 years ago.
I would remove the valve cover and spin the engine over by hand to see if you have a valve sticking. It could also be a leaking valve seal. If the valve seals look OK and the valve is not sticking I would say it is a ring problem. If this engine has sat for a while and this is the first time you have ran it this season the oil could have leaked past the rings or valve seal while in storage. I see lots of mowers that are brought to me for smoking at the first part of the mowing season. It is usually just oil as I described and will burn off in about 10 minutes.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
THE ENG WILL START AND RUN AND IN A SHORT WHILE OIL IS VISABLE FLOWING INTO THE TOP OF THE CARB INTO THE THROTTLE BODY AND KILLS ENG.