PK.
PK., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Retired Owner of a full service shop and national parts sales website.
12056261

My engine may have seized on my snowblower, what should I

My engine may have seized on my snowblower, what should I do to check it.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  PK. replied 8 years ago.
Pull the spark plug out and see if the engine will turn over. Let me know what you find from that. Thanks, PK.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Pk,

no the engine willnot turn over,the electric starter spins and the hand pull rope is stuck.

Expert:  PK. replied 8 years ago.
Was it running when this happened or has it been sitting up for awhile?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it was running at the time and just stopped,
Expert:  PK. replied 8 years ago.
Let me clarify one thing. When you said the electric starter will spin, is it engaging and spinning or engaging and stopping?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It's just spinning,the enginewas ran without oil for maybe 8/10 minutes than siezed.The recoil (rope )is stuck and can not be pulled.
Expert:  PK. replied 8 years ago.

If the engine is seized up, and it certainly sounds that way, then I would tear it down to see if there's any chance of salvaging it. It sounds like the rod didn't break so you may be able to fix it.

What may have happened is the rod has started to melt into the crankshaft. Almost no small engine uses insert bearings so when the oil, which actually acts as a bearing, goes away and you have metal on metal contact, the rod will start to melt. That intense heat can cause the rod to break down structurally and then snap and do all sorts of damage.

Since it doesn't sound like the rod broke, you may be able to get by with a rebuild. If there's crank damage, you'd need at least a shortblock.

You don't want to try and get this engine freed up as you may do more damage to it and ruin you chance at a rebuild.

Let me know if you have any questions aboput this. I won't be back until late this afternoon buit will check back then. Thanks, PK.