J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

what is the idel settings for a poulan wood shark model 19

what is the idel settings for a poulan wood shark model 1950
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Are you wanting to know the exact idle speed the saw should be set at or are you wanting to know how to properly adjust the carb so that it runs correctly?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
want to know how to adjust carb so it runs correctly
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hello you have info?
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
The initial setting for the carb are 1 1/2 turns open from lightly seated on both the high and low speed needles.The idle speed screw should be adjusted in until it just touches the throttle shaft and then turn it in an additional 2 turns. This will get you started if everything else is OK. The saw need to be at operating temperature to adjust the carb correctly. The first thing to do is to turn the low speed screw in until it starts to miss (lean). You will then back it out until it misses (rich). You will put it between the two points. Once you have the low speed set it is time to adjust the high speed. Run the saw at full rpm and adjust the needle in until it it has a nice clean sound. Once you get it to the highest setting that sounds good back it off between 1/8 and 1/4 turn. You do not want to run it too lean and this will richen it up. The sound of the saw will change, but most of the newer saws cut better at an rpm that is set a little rich from the lean side. After you have set the high and low needles. You will then want to check the saw for smooth acceleration. Throttle the saw up and see if it has a dead spot at the bottom. If it does you will need to fine tune the low speed needle a little until you have the smotth acceleration. After you have done this you will want to adthe idle speed screw in or out until you get the highest idle possible without the chain spinning. Make sure the chain is correctly tightened as a loose chain will free spin easier and it will mess with the idle speed. Let me know if you need anything else.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.