J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

I purchased a cable traction replacement part for Toro (model

I purchased a cable traction replacement part for Toro (model listed on machine 21038-20016) purchased in 2003. I find the new replacement cable is about 1" longer than the original. Is there a way to adjust the cable to get the proper tension? I double checked the replacement part # XXXXX it seems to be correct. Two different web sites had the same part # (105-1845)
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.

The cable has no adjustment. If the reason the you think the cable is too long is that the traction control still does not work correctly then you may want to look at the drive belt. The cable may be a little longer if this is an aftermarket part and not an original Toro part. Go to the link below and you can see the parts breakdown. The homeowner parts section is at the bottom left of the page.

http://www.toro.com/index.html

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there a special way to thread the cable at the belt end. There is a spring attached and I thought I anchored it into the holding hole the right way. What role does the belt play with the cable. The cable engages the tension doesn't it. From what I can see if I pull the cable it releases the tension. I'm doing something wrong.
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.

There is not special way to hook it up. The end of the spring just connects to the arm. When you pull on the handle it moves the transmission ( rotates) and tightens the belt. If the belt is worn too much you will not be able to get enough tension on the belt.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does the engine need to be running to get the tension on the belt? Everything seems pretty loose. I have the guard off, so I'm hesitant to start the engine. Does the gaurd need to be on to make this thing work right.
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.

The guard should be on it as it is a guide of sort. I doubt that the belt will come up and cause any damage if you tried it with the guard off, but if the belt is worn enough it could. The engine does not need to be running to have tension on the belt. You could take a set of vise grips and clamp the handle down and then fell the tension on the belt. Do not start the engine with the handle clamped down.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not understanding something. Right now there is NO tension anywhere in the drive area. The transmission can be moved (tilted) back and forth. The belt is loose. This is a walk behind mower that will mow but the the wheels won't engage because the new cable is too long. I got a new cable because the clip that mounts into a hole near the handle lever broke. Everything was working fine before the little bent clip broke. (with the old cable)
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
The belt will have no tension on it until you pull on the handle that the cable attaches to. If the mower was working correctly prior to the handle retainer breaking then I would say the problem is definitely the cable. It is not impossible to get a cable that was packaged incorrectly. The cable may just be the wrong cable.
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.

Look at the attached picture to make sure you have it hook up in the correct holes. Is the cable a genuine Toro part or is it aftermarket?

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If I mount the cable into part #19 on the schemetic and hook the spring into the holding hole in front of the pulley, should the tension be tight or loose before I thread the wire up to the handle? Right now I can tilt the transmission (#16?) back and forth. The belt is loose.
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
The tension on the cable will be loose until it is all connected to the handle and the handle is pulled.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry but this is going nowhere. As I see it, if I pull the handle (compress the two handles together at the top of the mower handle) with the cable attached to schemetic part #19, it should increase (engage) the tension on the belt. It seems to be doing he opposite. That's why I say, either I don't understand the mechanics of it or something is wrong. Wether the handle is open (down) or closed (up-engaged) there is nothing happening to the drive belt. There's too much slack. If I pull up on the handle, how will that make the belt tighter? How does it work?
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
The transmission rotates a little bit. When you pull the handle it rotates the tranny to put engough tension on the belt to make the self propel work. If you have the cable correctly installed and when you pull on the traction control handle and the belt does not get any tighter then the cable is too long or the belt is worn out. You never did answer my question. Is this an OEM TORO cable or is it aftermarket?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have to assume it's after market as I bought it from Partstree.com
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Was it in packaging that said Toro on it? Did it have the Toro part number on it or did it have another part number on it and said replaces(NNN) NNN-NNNN I checked the partstree site and it says the sell genuine parts, so I would assume it is Oem. Make sure you have it in the correct holes in the handle and at the pulley.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The label reads.. TORO .. 770 ...(NNN) NNN-NNNN Cable Traction

A Bar Code in the middle of the lable then..

1-6 122PS126 1 31 9 8 38 ... at the bottom of the lable

That's all the information

Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
That is an Oem cable. Did you hook it up correctly in the platic piece on the handle? Item 12 in the handle breakdown?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll need to get back to you I will check out the handle set up. Is there a special way to connect the cable into part #12. I pressed the cable shield (Metal) into the clamp, replaced the screw and then attached the clamp back onto the handle The metal clip is inserted into schemetic #10
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
That sounds correct. The end of the cable that has the spring should have a end on it that has a couple of plastic tabs that lock it in place also.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I followed the same setup as the cable I removed. I was able to slide the cable through the slit in Schemetic #19 and then push the plastic connector into the hole provided. That all worked fine. But the new cable is 1" longer than the one I removed. Therein lies the problem. PLUS I just can't figure out how the belt and the cable work with each other. They seem to be reacting the opposite of the way I think they should. Is the clamp (schemetic # XXXXX) supposed to do anything other than hold the cable in place? It was very tight when I unscrewed it to slide the new cable in place. I assume the wire needs to slide in the sheath.
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
It sounds like you have checked everything out. I looked at the parts list again. This mower is self propelled through the front wheels correct. I thought it was rear wheel propelled. The way this works is that the belt tension is the same at all times and when you pull the cable the tranny shifts and side loads the belt which allows it to travel. Sorry for the confusion. You may still want to take a look at the belt to make sure it is not worn. Other than that you may gotten a cable that was mispackaged.
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Make sure the cable is clamped tightly at the top clamp and is not sliding in the plastic piece. The cable should be clamped tight. The cable is encased in a wire wrap that is under the plastic covering.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would you think it proper to ask for an exchange from Partstree? That's all I can think of. Yes this is a front wheel drive mower. I think, looking at this cable and the setup, all I should have to do is remove (I have) the old one and install the new one back in place. By doing that, how much slack should be in the cable in the resting position? It can't be more than the 1" that I have extra. So, it should be snug when I put the new cable on and tight when I squeeze the handle. Correct?
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
I think you should call parts tree and tell them about the situation and see if they can measure another cable for you. The actual metal cable is too long correct. Does the cable shield(the blastic plastic) appear to be the correct length? Did you tighten the cable tight in the top clamp so that it is not moving in the clamp at all?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I measured the two cables. The NEW cable has a sheath that is .75" longer than the original and the wire is is 1.375" longer including the clip. The springs are the same length and the plastic cable holder is the same too. I don't see that the length of the sheath should have any effect on the operation of the cable but the extra wire length is the problem. Again... What should the cable tension be when everything is connected correctly?
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
The cable should be taut but not tight. It definitely should not be loose sinyou only have a certain amount of travel in the lever. I would have part tree measure up another cable and see if you maybe got the mispackaged cable.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.