J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

I have a 1982 Cub Cadet lawn tractor with 10 HP B/S and Cast

Customer Question

I have a 1982 Cub Cadet lawn tractor with 10 HP B/S and Cast Iron Hydrostatic drive,=.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
What is the problem that you are needing help with?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No kidding, I didn't even get time to ask the question before being sent into the system!!

Last fall the Hydro-drive Quit on a very hot day.

The engine conttinued to run, but the drive smoked, and froze up.

The mower will move if I open the release valve, so I can push it around, but it will not move under power.

I bought the mower second hand with all original documentation, but first want to know if the thing is even repairable. It was working, but the problem appears to be in the hydro drive.

I was going to start with a flush and refil of the fluid, as I suspect this was never done by the original owner.

I do have his service records and they only mention tune-ups at the service center where he bought it, no drive service. He did get new belts and blades on the mower at one point.

I know this thig is pushing 30 years old but also have herad how tough these old CI drives are. Will a flush do any good or is it something worse?

AL brown

Birmingham, AL

Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.

I hate to be the one to give you bad news, but I would say that you will need a new tranny. What model of cub cadet is it?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It's a 1982 CC 1020 with 10 HP BS and CI Hydrostatic drive, and a 32" deck.

Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
The tractor should have a model number on a sticker under the seat. It will also have a serial number can you get these numbers for me?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

OK I am going to the garage and look but the deal documentation says

1982 Cub Cadet

Model 1020

SN 139417

Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.

I looked on the cub cadet site and the pump is separate from the tranny. You may be able to repair this one, but I do not know about the cost. You will not know until you tear into it. Here are a coulpe of pictures. Just go to the link below and put in the model number of your tractor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks JR.

I'll check the Links

Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks for the accept and thanks for using Just Answer.