J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126
Small Engine

Working on replacing a drive belt on my L110 John Deere riding

mower. Can't tell if the... Show More
mower. Can't tell if the belt needs to go around the steering wheel shaft or next to it. Any suggestions or place to get a technical drawing of how the belt needs to be put into the mower?
Category: Small Engine
replied 7 years ago.

Can you get all of the model numbers off of the tractor? Most of the time there will be belts guides where the belt is designed to ride.

Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
I'll see if I can hunt it down, will it be on the mower? Any specific spot to look, I did a quick look but only found serial number.
J.R., Small Engine Technician replied 7 years ago.
It should be under the seat. I have done a couple of searches while waiting for you to reply and I see no free manuals or copies of it. I did see at the john deere website where you can purchase some manuals for this tractor. Let me know if interested and I will get you a direct link.
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
I've been to the JD site, but didn't want to spend $100 for the repair manual. Was hoping to get around that dollar spend.
Hang tight. I working on getting some pictures posted that may help you.
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
Just in case, Product number is XXXXX

Will this picture help you?

graphic

Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
I grabbed that one already. Doesn't answer the around or bypass of the steering shaft. Been under the mower, and can't tell either. Didn't look when the belt broke in the fall.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help. One thing I can tell you is that several of the mtd tractors as well as some sears require that the shifter be removed from the tranny or the belt be slid down around the shifter from the top and the belt goes on each side of the shifter. The shifter is in between the belt. I have never seen one that the steering had to be removed or anything like that so I would say that it goes around one side or the other of the steering wheel. You should be able to see by the look of the guides. You can also look to see where it has rubbed the paint on parts of the tractor. It will be clean from the belt rubbing.
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for trying.

I found another picture that I think will help you. Look at this picture and you will see #8 is a belt guide. Look on the tractor at the guide and you should be able to tell where the belt goes. It is a double guide so each side of the belt go is one part of the guide. You should be able to tell by looking at it whether or not you have to remove the steering wheel.

graphic

Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX found a repair guide. Belt does have to go around the shaft.
Let me know if you need anything else.