Bobby
Bobby, Technician
Experience:  16 years experience in small engines, Bobcat loaders, Hyd , and electrical repair.
10376097

Im replacing an auger drive belt on a HS55 Honda Snowblower

Customer Question

I'm replacing an auger drive belt on a HS55 Honda Snowblower - track drive. I removed the auger housing and attached the new belt to the pulley on the auger housing. Then we positioned the auger housing to loop the belt over the pulley on the drive. However we cannot get the auger housing to slide back into the engine bed/frame. The belt is too tight. Is there a better method of attaching the belt and getting the auger housing back onto the bed?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Bobby replied 5 years ago.

Hello , Im Bobby.

Are you sure you have the correct belt? I see there is a SN split so it could be 2 different size belts that it could be.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Well that's what I'm wondering. I got the belt from a Honda dealer. They did NOT have the exact part but they said the belt they gave me was the exact same size. It seems to be looking at the old one. My frame serial is(NNN) NNN-NNNNso from looking on the net (and the dealer agreed) I needed 22432-736-701. It's SB-32 and that's what they gave me. 5/8" I think.

Expert:  Bobby replied 5 years ago.

The belt should only get tight when you pull the lever to make the augers turn, So it should be loose when the handle is up .

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well it's tight now but that's because the housing isn't completly attached (got 1 bolt in and that's it) Am I supposed to reattach the housing first and then loop the belt over the drive? That's what I started to do at first but it seemed like it was going to be really tough to get it on the drive pulley. Which way is correct?
Expert:  Bobby replied 5 years ago.

Hello again..

I would put the housing back together, Unplug the spark plug wire , Then use the pull rope to turn the engine over to help get the belt on the pulley..