Bobby
Bobby, Technician
Experience:  16 years experience in small engines, Bobcat loaders, Hyd , and electrical repair.
10376097

I have a 10 HP Briggs model 19E412 on a generator that has

I have a 10 HP Briggs model 19E412 on a generator that has a governor issue. When I start the engine the governor does not regulate the speed and it over revs.

Hello . Im Bobby

I got a question for you.

Is the engine surging? or just running wide open?

Did this just start happening?

Have you done anything to it ?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Bobby, It runs wide open. The linkages are free to move and no springs have been replaced or altered.

OK, Can you give me all the numbers off the engine ?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Model # XXXXX
Type# XXXXX
Code#(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Manufactured in 1999

Thanks again!

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=briggs_and_stratton&mn=19E412-1131-E1&dn=04550007A

Hello again , ok, Here is what I would do first. Look at the picture from the link I sent with this. I would try to adjust the external governor linkage , Loosen the bolt number 562 that attach's the lever to the governor shaft , then move the lever in the direction that would open the carb to full throttle , then turn the governor shaft in the same direction , and re tighten the bolt , and try it out, If that don't work it is possible that the governor gear is broken inside the engine ,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I disconnected the governor lever that is connected to the shaft. When I start the engine, there is no resistance on the (vertical) lever which I believe should be to pull against the spring. I assume the gear you refer to is internal and will require a tear down. Am I correct?

Yes you are correct, The engine would need tore down to repair.

If this answer satisfies your question please click the accept button. I will not be paid if you dont.

You can always ask follow up questions after you accept. I will be here to answer them.

If for some reason you are not happy. Please tell me what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX