Bobby, Technician
Experience:  16 years experience in small engines, Bobcat loaders, Hyd , and electrical repair.

The auger on my snowblower wont turn. Shearpins are intact

The auger on my snowblower won't turn. Shearpins are intact and it seems clear (no stones or anything I can see).

Hello I'm Bobby.

I got a question for you.

Does the impeller spin?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, slowly
Well , Most snowblowers have a cover over the belts, I would remove that cover and take a look at the belt .
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The belts loook fine. When I start up the snowblower and press the auger control, the auger still doesn't turn but there is a small squealing sound.
OK, With the engine off , Can you turn the big pulley that the belt turns by hand?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, that turns fairly easy and turns the impeller.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Update: The impeller turns when I pull the belt manually, but not when I hold down the auger control handle.

I would Try to tighten up the cable that engages the idler arm so it will pull on the belt more. You should be able to shorten the cable at the handle depending on the model. Im thinking that the belt is not getting pulled enough and its slipping.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I adjusted everything around the belt and it started to turn however, is there supposed to be a screw holding the auger pulley in place? That is what seems to be slipping. There is a hole but no screw. Any idea what I would need to get? I have a Simplicity intermediate.

Yes there should be a bolt holding the pulley onto the shaft , Can you give me all your numbers off of your snow blower so I can look it up .?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I got it! I went to the Simplicity dealer in this area and got a screw and pin needed to hold the pulley in place. After that and some other adjustments you suggested, it works great. Thank you!!! (Kind of a big accomplishment for a girl who knows nothing about engines) I really appreciate your help.

You GO GIRL!!!! LOL Im glad you got it up and running . Laughing

If this answer satisfies your question please click the accept button. I will not be paid if you dont.

You can always ask follow up questions after you accept. I will be here to answer them.

If for some reason you are not happy. Please tell me what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX