PK., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Retired Owner of a full service shop and national parts sales website.

Any idea why my Snapper I524 snowblower, tecumseh 5 hp engine,

Customer Question

Any idea why my Snapper I524 snowblower, tecumseh 5 hp engine, won't keep running? Starts fine, gas in tank, primer works fine, runs and then stops running after 1-2 minutes?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  PK. replied 7 years ago.
Try loosening the gas cap and running it with it loose. Let me know if this doesn't fix things. Thanks, PK.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry - tried it - still stops.
Expert:  PK. replied 7 years ago.
Does it slowly stop like it's running out of gas or does it shut-off all at once?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Alittle of both - stops within a few seconds - yes like it's running out of gas - just stops dead - no sputtering.
Expert:  PK. replied 7 years ago.
If you pull the fuel line from the carb, is there a steady stream of gas? After that, if you pull the retaining screw from the carburetor bowl, wil gas leak out steadily? Do you have a compression gauge?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes steady stream, I'll try the bowl and see, yes I have a compression gauge but I don't think that's the problem. Thanks
Expert:  PK. replied 7 years ago.

The compression probably isn't the problem, but it's something that you'll want to check if you can't pinpoint it to the carb. You could have a ring that sticks when hot, a valve that sticks when hot and even a cylinder that goes a little out of round when hot. A compression test will help eliminate any of those as problems. Excess carbon in the chamber can also cause this problem.

If there's a steady stream of fuel out of the bowl, then I'd pull the carburetor and give it a good soaking. You could be losing air pressure in the bowl due to a partially clogged bowl vent. This will cause the engine to act like it's running out of fuel and it will do it quickly. Fuel won't be able to be pulled into the venturi and the engine starves out. This is the same thing that happens with a bad gas cap, with the bad cap causing the problem in the gas tank itself.

The other common cause is a coil that's gone bad. What I do to test this is to let the engine run until it dies, then quickly pull the ignition lead and hook it to a spark tester. Leave the plug in place, you don't want to pull a plug from a hot head. No spark and you have a bad ignition. Coils will often go bad and only show a fault after being run for a few minutes. Once they cool off they'll work until they get hot again. Generally the engine will die suddenly or run rough and then die. Thanks, PK.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks - I'll try the solutions. Have a nice holiday.
Expert:  PK. replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for Accepting and the bonus. Just come back to this same question if you have any troubles.