Joe02800, small engine, snowmobile, atv
Experience:  2 years lawn and garden experience/ 20 yrs of general experience with atv's, sleds and dirt bikes

Why is my Snowblower not throwing snow?

Customer Question

My small single stage snow blower will not throw the snow out of the shoot. The auger turns fine. Any ideas?

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Joe02800 replied 7 years ago.

By saying the auger turns fine, do you mean that if you spin it by hand with the engine off it turns freely? Or that it does turn when the engine is running and the auger is engaged. By the nature of your problem, there is some sort of malfunction in the auger drive system, whether it be a worn drive belt, or even a plugged discharge chute. Also, what is the make and model number of your machine? I'd like to look it up so I can see the mechanics of your specific unit.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I honestly don't know the model #. It is an old MTD single stage small snowblower. The auger turns just fine when the engine is on and the auger is engaged. The chute is not clogged. I've checked that. I took one pass down my driveway and it was throwing it out the chute. I turned around and all it did was throw it out from the underside of the machine.

Book says Yard Machines by MTD, Model Series 140-152.

Expert:  Joe02800 replied 7 years ago.

OK. Is it possible to have a helper operate the snowthrower while you observe the auger operation from a safe distance? This sounds very strange. A single stage thrower should throw snow as long as it is spinning fast enough. One other thing, have you checked the condition of the auger? Any broken welds, or even a broken shear pin/bolt? It sounds like your problem may be that the auger is just not turning fast enough, and/or without enough power. There should be some sort of shear pin or bolt in place.

Lets start by verifying that it isn't broken. To check this, with the engine off, and the spark plug wire removed, have a helper hold down the engage lever as if to engage the auger. Try and spin the auger. If it seems to spin fairly easily and not turn the engine over, then your likely cause is a broken shear bolt or bolts.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The auger spins incredibly fast. That's why I don't understand why it isn't blowing the snow out the chute. I'll try your suggestions and see what I can find out. Thanks much for your help.
Expert:  Joe02800 replied 7 years ago.

OK, it should spin very fast. Does this machine use a 2-stroke or 4-stroke engine? If you are not sure, the 2-stroke requires that oil be mixed with the fuel. If it is a 2-stroke, we need to make sure the auger is spinning the correct direction. This may be ridiculous, but lets verify proper auger rotation. If you spin the auger by hand, you will notice that it must spin in a forward rotation, meaning if the auger were to contact the ground firmly, it would want to pull the unit forward. Also, be sure the auger continues to spin very fast when it is put to a load in the snow. Make sure it doesn't slow way down when you begin to get it into the snow. This is one of those times where I would really like to be there first hand to see what this machine is or is not doing!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry Joe. I go to bed very early as I get up at 3am for work. Decided I'd try to fix it tonite. I'll look at it again after I get home from work and if it doesn't work, I'll get back online to see if you're here again. Thanks much.