Joe02800
Joe02800, small engine, snowmobile, atv
Experience:  2 years lawn and garden experience/ 20 yrs of general experience with atv's, sleds and dirt bikes
13030793

my small single stage snow blower will not throw the snow out

Customer Question

my small single stage snow blower will not throw the snow out of the shoot. The auger turns fine. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Joe02800 replied 5 years ago.
hi im joe. by saying the auger turns fine, do you mean that if you spin it by hand with the engine off it turns freely? o that it does turn when the engine is running and the auger is engaged. by the nature of your problem, ther is some sort of malfunction in the auger drive system, wether it be a worn drive belt, or even a plugged discharge chute. also, what is the make and model number of your machine? id like to look it up so i can see the mechanics of your specific unit. thanks,joe
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I honestly don't know the model #. It is an old MTD single stage small snowblower. The auger turns just fine when the engine is on and the auger is engaged. The chute is not clogged. I've checked that. I took one pass down my driveway and it was throwing it out the chute. I turned around and all it did was throw it out from the underside the the front of the machine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Book says Yard Machines by MTD, Model Series 140-152.
Expert:  Joe02800 replied 5 years ago.
ok....is it possible to have a helper operate the snowthrower while you observe the auger operation from a safe distance? this sounds very strange. a single stage thrower should throw snow as long as it is spinning fast enough. one other thing, have you checked the condition of the auger? any broken welds, or even a broken shear pin/bolt? it sounds like your problem may be that the auger is just not turning fast enough, and/or without enough power. there should be some sort of shear pin or bolt in place. lets start by verifying that it isnt broken. to check this, with the engine off, and the spark plug wire removed, have a helper hold down the engage lever as if to engage the auger. try and spin the auger. if it seems to spin fairly easily and not turn the engine over, then your likely cuase is a broken shaer bolt or bolts. let me know how you do. thanks,joe
Joe02800, small engine, snowmobile, atv
Experience: 2 years lawn and garden experience/ 20 yrs of general experience with atv's, sleds and dirt bikes
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The auger spins incredibly fast. That's why I don't understand why it isn't blowing the snow out the chute. I'll try your suggestions and see what I can find out. Thanks much for your help.
Expert:  Joe02800 replied 5 years ago.
ok, it should spin very fast. does this machine use a 2-stroke or 4-stroke engine? if you are not sure, the 2-stroke requires that oil be mixxed with the fuel. if it is a 2-stroke, we need to make sure the auger is spinning the correct direction. this may be rediculous, but lets verify proper auger rotation. if you spin the auger by hand, you will notice that it must spin in a forward rotation, meaning if the auger were to cantact the ground firmly, it would want to pull the unit forward. also, be sure the auger continues to spin very fast when it is put to a load in the snow. make sure it doesnt slow way down when you begine to get it into the snow. this is one of those times where i would really like to be there first hand to see what this mchine is or is not doing! thank you for the accept by the way, but i will stay with you here unitl we either fix your problem, or i run out of ideas as to what your problem may be.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry Joe. I go to bed very early as I get up at 3am for work. Decided I'd try to fix it tonite. I'll look at it again after I get home from work and if it doesn't work, I'll get back online to see if you're here again. Thanks much.
Expert:  Joe02800 replied 5 years ago.
no problem. im a truck driver currently as my primary job. im home frequently during the week, and every weekend, but sometimes it keeps me away from home and consequently the computer. so that said, i want to apologize in advance if im away a day or 2 before i can get back to you. but i do check every time im home and am curious now as to your problem. it seems to be quite a challenge,so, bear with me and i will help you as best as i can, and as long as it takes till we figure this thing out. :) il talk to you later, thanks,joe