PK.
PK., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Retired Owner of a full service shop and national parts sales website.
12056261

I have a 5500 watt troy built generator it not fireing to the

Customer Question

I have a 5500 watt troy built generator it not fireing to the spark plug
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  PK. replied 6 years ago.
Can you tell me what you've already tried and how you verified that it's not firing?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I hooked atest light to spark plug wire and pulled on starter rope

Expert:  PK. replied 6 years ago.

A regular test light or an ignition tester?

The first thing to check is the oil level. Most generators have low-oil protection and require the oil to be slightly over the full mark. If you can check that and what type of test light we'll go from there. Thanks, PK.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
a reg test light oil is ok
Expert:  PK. replied 6 years ago.

You should either use an ignition tester or pull the plug and hold it against the head while pulling the starter and see if the plug fires.

Can you tell me the make and model of the engine?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did just that held spark plug to head No fire.
Expert:  PK. replied 6 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
family 3b3sxs3422ht
Expert:  PK. replied 6 years ago.

This is a Briggs and Stratton engine isn't it?

Can you tell me the model of the generator?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes
Expert:  PK. replied 6 years ago.
On the engine itself is a model, type and code number. I'll have to have that to look up your particular engine to see all the methods available for controlling ignition. I'll also need the model number of the generator to see your particular model and all the different ways it may be hooked up. Thanks, PK.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
PK thanks i will have to get back to you tonorrow.how do i get you when ilog on then.iwill have all the info for you then
Expert:  PK. replied 6 years ago.

Just come back to this same question, replying like you have been and you won't have to go through the deposit process again.

It'll be late afternoon before I get on here but we'll try and figure the problem out then. Thanks, PK.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

PK i just checked again the only number i can find other than the one igave you before is model number 01919

Expert:  PK. replied 6 years ago.

That may be part of a model number. There will be a model, type and code number either stamped into the sheet metal or on a plate or sticker. Usually it'll be on the flywheel shroud.

The problem is that for each Briggs model, there may be a hundred or more types, so it's important to know for sure exactly what engine was spec'd by the generator assembler.

Expert:  PK. replied 6 years ago.

Use this question to reply to.