ROCKET, Technician

My 3 year old Honda generator EU2000i just developed a problem

Customer Question

My 3 year old Honda generator EU2000i just developed a problem with starting cold... The colder the worse but cranks first pull when warm... The Low Oil Alert system is sensing a false low oil level and shutting it down! Red light comes on and it shuts down... When light goes out (only a few seconds) it starts on first pull again... This cycle continues for up to 10 times before it seemingly gets warm enough to operate normally... I would at least like to be able to disconnect the switch or sensor but cannot find it... (then hook back up when it gets warm)... Local Dealer not much help over the phone and it is down at Deer Camp until late December.... ?????????
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  ROCKET replied 7 years ago.

Your best bet is to use a thinner weight oil

it is in your owners manual

here is the manual if you do not have it

located on page 55 is the wiring diagram where you can find the oil pressure switch

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes... The manual showed a thinner oil for these temps but I was concerned about synthetic... Local dealer said OK as long as SJ even though the manual did not address synthetics...

So I put in synthetic SJ type 5W30 and it is working perfectly again!

Not sure why all of a sudden the use of 10W30 regular oil started this problem... Worked fine for two seasons at Deer Camp before! Cold nights back then too!