Ask The Small Engine Doctor Your Own Ques...

The Small Engine Doctor
The Small Engine Doctor, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing & rebuiding 2&4 cycle engines, All brands and configurations
10279143

I have a 5.5 hp B&S engine, it was overfilled with oil and

Customer Question

I have a 5.5 hp B&S engine, it was overfilled with oil and ran for 5 min. The oil was drained to proper level and it ran for 5 min. Then it quit. I cleaned out carb, new plug, and new air filter but it wont run. Help please!!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  The Small Engine Doctor replied 6 years ago.

Hi jm, this is Dave, the Small Engine Doctor. Start with taking out the plug and spraying some carb and choke spray in the cylinder and rotating the engine with the starter rope, slowly. then pull it fast to blow out the excess. Do this a few times and then put in another new plug and see what happens. Theres a possibility that you've built up some carbon on the valves and its kind of screwing things up in there.

Please send me the model and type number of the engine so I can look up the drawing and help you further if the above doesn't work.

If you are pleased with this answer, you may go ahead and click on the "accept" button. I will still stay with you until we get this "puppy" running. Please let me know how you made out!! Sincerely, Dave

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is on a 20 log splitter, I don't have the engine with me to get the numbers at the moment. But I did take the plug out and spray cleaner in there. I try to start it and after several attemts and a sore arm I took the plug out and still had a little oil on the plug yet. I spray starter fluid to try to help start it and the only response that I get is backfire.
OK, sometimes this can be a real pain in the neck (or the arm). First of, don't bother with starter fluid. It just doesn't do the same job that carb & choke spray. This is for cleaning AND starting. Your more likely to get an engine started with it, than ether. Its more like gas than ether. You might want to try really spraying allot of it into the cylinder, rotate it slowly a little bit and then let it sit for a few hours or over night, with the plug out. There is a possibility that you my do well to adjust the valves but try the above first. Please let me know your progress. I'll be away from my terminal between 5:30 and 7:00, Dave
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, it's been a little crazy around here. I sprayed out the cylinder and let it set overnight.   Tried to start the next day with no luck. What do I need to do to adjust the valves??. What is my compression supposed to be?? I am somewhere in the neighborhood of 40. So could that be the valves or be the piston ring itself???
Hi J, sorry I took so long to get back to you. I believe your valves need adjustment or some sort of care for a number of symptoms that the engine displays. The backfiring is one. It may not be a "true" backfire, just blowback past the valves. At any rate, now I do need the engine numbers because this could be an overhead valve engine or a "flathead" and that makes a huge difference in servicing the engine. Please let me know so we can proceed. Sincerely, Dave